Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electronic oil pressure gauge from autometer and I need to know how to hook it up. I think I have the light, ground, and 12v power supply straight, I just need to know where the oil sender goes on the sr20det (s13 rwd) engine. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
its under the intake manifold beside the oil filter. did the auto meter gauge come with its own sending unit? because the sr's sending unit doesn't send a pressure signal. it works like an on off switch and only tells if there is any pressure or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nismo200sx16 said:
its under the intake manifold beside the oil filter. did the auto meter gauge come with its own sending unit? because the sr's sending unit doesn't send a pressure signal. it works like an on off switch and only tells if there is any pressure or not.
Yes, the autometer gauge came with it's own sender. So I'm assuming my gauge is useless to my sr20det then? Thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
If you don't care about the idiot light, you can do this, but I'm not sure if it'd throw a CEL because it wasn't getting a signal.

The other option (if you want to keep the stock sending unit) is to get a Nissport adapter that has bungs for both the stock sender and an aftermarket one. I personally don't care about this, so I'm getting the BSPT:NPT adapter and using the sensor that came with my GReddy Warn gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nismo200sx16 said:
you can just take out the factory sender and put yours in. not shure what you are saying about your gauge being useless to your sr20det.
I'm assuming it threads into my oil pressure sending unit. What if the threads don't fit (I haven't tried yet but the instructions said the sender fits most fords and something else).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
it doesnt fit. Not right anyway.
Most people crossthread the sensor. I wouldnt recomend it
US = NPT 1/8 -27
JPN = BSPT 1/8 -28

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kane2g said:
it doesnt fit. Not right anyway.
Most people crossthread the sensor. I wouldnt recomend it
US = NPT 1/8 -27
JPN = BSPT 1/8 -28

HTH
Where am I putting the new sender? I see it's under the intake manifold, but there are 2 different things there. I can't even get to it with a wrench either. I think I need to take the top half of my intake manifold off to get to it... :( And what do I do with the stop sender?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
JDM240Turbo said:
Where am I putting the new sender? I see it's under the intake manifold, but there are 2 different things there. I can't even get to it with a wrench either. I think I need to take the top half of my intake manifold off to get to it... :( And what do I do with the stop sender?
I put mine in the Oil Filter Relocation Kit.
But you can put it in place of stock sender with the right adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
JDM240Turbo said:
Thanks for the link. But which one is the sender. And how will I get to it. It looks like I need to take off my intake manifold.
On the SR20DE you get to it from underneath. Here's a picture of mine (the adaptor did not exist when I did the installation, so I did it with Ts):


I took this from underneath. The front of the car is towards the bottom of the image, and the cross-member is on the left (FWD orientation. For you the front would be to the right.). I'ts a pretty tight area, and you'll really appreciate that beer after you're done with the installation. :rolleyes: Perhaps it's more accessible on the RWD, though.

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
If you don't want to spend $49 plus s/h go to ace hardware and get some brass fittings. I also bought the adapter that autometer sells for our import cars. It cost me about $15 for all the fittings. Just make sure you tighten them up away from the oil filter and intake maifold, so when your engine shakes there's no problems. :thumbup:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top