Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1988 Pathfinder 4x4 3.0 L
~ 136k miles

My pathfinder is leaking oil terribly. When it is running its almost a constant stream. I took it to the place I get my oil changed and the guy told me I was about a quart low from normal.

I did some inspecting myself and I found where the oil is coming from... At least its coming from this actual thing or where this 'thing' is connected.

NOTE: there was a little plug/wire type thing down next to it and it appears it plugs into this "thing"... I tried my best to plug it back in, I think I have it replugged, but the oil is still spilling out of it.

After watching the spot while the car is running, It appears the oil might be coming from the base of this black "plug thing" which I have been calling it. The oil runs down this plug and then drips to the ground.

Here are pictures, let me know if you need anymore.

GENERAL AREA WHERE OIL IS COMING FROM (VIEW FROM TOP)

CLOSER VIEW FROM TOP

WIDE SHOT FROM TOP

---------

VIEW FROM UNDER CAR

·
Registered
75 Posts
looks to be your oil pressure switch

they generally dont leak unless its been removed and not replaced properly

that may be the cause

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doode is exactly right that is your oil pressure sending unit (some people call it a switch) Either way is ok. These can also leak if they get bumped hard from an oil filter wrench when getting the oil changed. They are fairly inexpensive but can be a little aggravating to change due to location.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yup its oil pressure switch... it should be cheap & yet be quite hard to replace due to the space around it...

quite common problem on some cars i across before, by the way make sure engine is cool down because the location is near by the exhaust mainfold.. let not get burnt skin while replacing it ... :)

rockerfella174

1 - 4 of 4 Posts