Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife hit something yesterday and punctured a hole in the oil pan. I have a new one coming and was under the car taking the damaged one out and got every bolt out except the last two on the transmission side. Seems the last two bolts are being overlapped by a cover or something on the transmission and it is impossible to get to them.

Can I take that cover off somehow? I don't have a manual to give me a clue.

How do I get those last two bolts out? I am broke and this is our only car. Please help me out folks! If you're ever in Columbus, Ohio I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those are actually nuts, and they hold the rear main seal retainer in there. You may have to lower or remove the crossmember to get enough clearance to pull the pan down enough to clear the studs of the rear main seal retainer. You cannot remove the rear main seal retainer w/o removing the transmission and flywheel!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was able to get to them by supporting the transmision with a jack/block of wood and removeing the center cross member. Then I used a long 1/4" extension and a socket, it was a pain, but worked. Just make sure to scrape everything clean.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. It's finished. The damn transaxle cover plate was so caked full of crap that I missed the pan support bracket hiding underneath the muck.

Did'nt have to remove the crossmember. Just removed the three exhaust pipe to manifold nuts and let that section hang down about 4 inches. The pan cleared the pickup with room to spare.

Thanks again.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
oil pan

simspektor said:
Thanks for the advice. It's finished. The damn transaxle cover plate was so caked full of crap that I missed the pan support bracket hiding underneath the muck.

Did'nt have to remove the crossmember. Just removed the three exhaust pipe to manifold nuts and let that section hang down about 4 inches. The pan cleared the pickup with room to spare.

Thanks again.

Steve
I just joined this forum and I was looking to see how to take off the oil pan and could not find a repair book at the store. I will try your way tommorrow and just remove the exhust . Did the bolts come off okay? Thank you Great job and good for you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts