Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Sentra with 1.6 and auto trans that now has an oil pan gasket leak. Who has changed this and what tips can you provide me? Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
cdpprab said:
I have a 99 Sentra with 1.6 and auto trans that now has an oil pan gasket leak. Who has changed this and what tips can you provide me? Thanks for any help.
To get the pan off, you are going to need to drop the center brace, disconnect the front engine mount to the center brace. Then you need to support the engine corner, not pan. Pull the bolts off, the 2 ends close to tranny are nuts. don't loose them. The pan pulls right off. make sure to clean the sludge out of the bottom of the pan. Look, we have a baffle/windage tray!!! use a gasket remover on the drill and spin the crap off the edges good, clean with acetone good. Use grey RTV for imports, follow instructions on package. I used Permetex Grey RTV for imports. Thsi worked well, you let it sit on the pan for a few minutes and then install the pan, make sure you follow the sequence of the nuts and torque as the manual says or you wil leak. torque to specs.

Chris 92 classic
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
sunnysentra said:
To get the pan off, you are going to need to drop the center brace, disconnect the front engine mount to the center brace. Then you need to support the engine corner, not pan. Pull the bolts off, the 2 ends close to tranny are nuts. don't loose them. The pan pulls right off. make sure to clean the sludge out of the bottom of the pan. Look, we have a baffle/windage tray!!! use a gasket remover on the drill and spin the crap off the edges good, clean with acetone good. Use grey RTV for imports, follow instructions on package. I used Permetex Grey RTV for imports. Thsi worked well, you let it sit on the pan for a few minutes and then install the pan, make sure you follow the sequence of the nuts and torque as the manual says or you wil leak. torque to specs.

Chris 92 classic
Removing the cross member is not necessary.... I have removed my oil pan twice without doing that step!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
I'm working on this now. 94 1.6 Sentra. There are 2 nuts slightly tucked under the tranny. I can get an open end wrench to turn the nuts, buy cant get them off. I'll try undoing the mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
rbo1577186 said:
I'm working on this now. 94 1.6 Sentra. There are 2 nuts slightly tucked under the tranny. I can get an open end wrench to turn the nuts, buy cant get them off. I'll try undoing the mount.
I don't know about manual tranny, but with auto's there is a dust cover that comes off so you can get to those two nuts. Here is a pic.
I did take off the center brace to make things easier. This is for 91-94. Don't know about other years.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Thats exactly what I did. Thanks lapwiz. Now the 251k mile engine has one more leak. Looks to be leaking near the distributor.. I'll do that next weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
there is 2 additanal bolts that are up in back on the left side of the car that you should be able to remove with a socket driver, and the factory service manual says to drop the cressmember. oh and i would sugjest a nissan sillicon that is made for the oil pan
and when you apply the sillicon just fill the grooves i think its 1/16 above flush, but you may want to double check this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
these bolts on the auto trans modle are very simmilar to the many trans just in a slightly differnt location
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top