Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I'm a newbie here. I just bought a 1989 Sentra SE last week and I'm picking it up next week. The car is leaking oil from, "...the front seal", as the dealer stated. I looked at it and it didn't look too bad. But I can't stand having leaks, so I'm planning on fixing it myself. My question is where do these engines typically leak oil from and how difficult of a job is it? The valve cover and the oil pan are what I'm familliar with (from other cars) and those have not given me problems in the past.

Thanks for any help.

Jon

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
well front gasket is a harch job to do... youll have to get the pulley off and probably the timing belt too.... so be aware of all things needed before starting !!

The valve cover alway gets messy if it isnt correctly replaced and cleaned before...

on E16 series and GA16 serie engine you got to remove the cross member before removing/installing the oil pan... if you dont, youll messup the gasket... cuz there isnt many clearance to pass between... :)

check out the oil pump... and head gasket, if they were changed, they probably didnt get the head/block resurfaced.. like many of us do... the tend to leak a bit if the block got marked, or if the head swirls a bit.....

:) happy time fixing you car !! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I found the problem/solution

I had a mechanic check it out the other day and he said he couldn't locate the oil leak, but the steering gear (rack) was definately leaking. I changed the oil and put in some "stop leak" stuff and drove around with it in there for a couple of days. I have to say, I do believe the oil leak is gone now. :) I know it's not a fix, per-se, but if it's keeping the oil off my driveway and in the engine where it belongs, I'm happy.

I got a steering gear (rack) from a salvage yard that doesn't appear to be in bad shape. At least it doesn't appear to be leaking. I'm trying to put it in now. I guess I could have put some "stop leak" in the old one, but one of the dust boots is torn and I'm just a little concerned about physical damage. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the 4 mounting bolts off. They're on pretty tight and I don't have power tools. I might just have to put it all back together and drive it over to my mechanic so he can put it in. :eek:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
you know what ... i think those rack are lubricated by engine oil... anyway in my car it is... so the leak could have been coming from the engine but really was from the rack... anyone got info on rack/pinion oil ????

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just finished detaching my steering gear and I can say with certainty that on this model at least, it is not lubricated with motor oil. This thing has a crack on the top of the gear assembly that I couldn't see when it was attached to the steering input shaft which would explain the leaking.

I have another problem now, though, that I can't actually remove the steering rack from the engine compartment. I'll start another thread for this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts