Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm driving a 96' 200sx SE and I've had a small oil leak for a while, until recently, when it decided to get worse over the course of a couple weeks. I frequently drive from GA to OH and in the course of 10 hours of a near constant 80mph drive, I'll lose near a quart of oil. For casual driving, nothing near that, i'll lose a quart in ~2 weeks.

I've finally gotten the time to fix it, and I want to do everything in one shot, for oil leaks on this engine, what gaskets should I replace and what types should I get?

I know that the pan gasket is getting replaced for sure.

**Also, should I make sure to have any special tools on hand to complete? Can anyone provide me a decent tool list to have to replace these gaskets to stop the leaking?

Oh, any links to guides would be nice too - I have the FSM, but having online guides to browse in class before this weekend would be nice.

**I really want to make sure that I have the tools needed, so this is priority 1.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the oil pan uses fake boobs (silicone). any other seals and stuff i recommend OEM seals, aftermarkets tend to....... in a nice way work like @%$*

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
check the front crankshaft seal, this leaks, very common. There is a thread here on how to replace it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just did the pan gasket and the crank seal on a 97 Sentra. No special tools are needed. To get the pan off you have to remove the section of exhaust pipe and will probably break off the studs. I had to drill out two and replace them. Not a big deal but delayed me a while to get the new studs. On the pan I also used a gasket from Advanced auto Parts put down a bed of grey silicone on the pan put the gasket on it and then put another bed of gasket maker on top and it does not leak a drop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts