Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car has had a slow oil leak for awhile now and it has never bothered me. but i am bored and have nothing else to do so i thought i would fix it. the oil pan and the passenger side axle have oil on them. what could be some causes of an oil leak? what would i need to do to find out where it is leaking from? thanks in advance ya'll.

·
Registered
154 Posts
a lot of times the front main seal will go out, then oil gets everywhere. Your oil pan gasket maybe. I don't know for sure you'd really have to get down there to find out.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the valve cover could have something to do with this? i am missing a screw on it, but it is not leaking any oil. i think it is my crank seal though because the area where the timing marks are suppose to line up is covered in crud...like it got oily and dirt stuck to it. i hope that made sense.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
just a reminder......

front crank seal.......use puller to take out crank pulley, risk of altering balance, careful not to scratch crank journal when taking out seal, also properly lubricate seal to not kink or twist while installing, and install in a very square and flat manner, also prevent twisting, and watch out for the spring tensioner on the back......

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
My car doesnt leak oil but I just sprayed engine degreaser all over to get it a little cleaner. The timing marks had gunk on it too but like i said before it doesnt leak. If all else fails just degrease it and figure out the problem.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
oil leaks.......

oil leaks don't occur as fast as coolant or p/s leaks, i cleaned mine before and after some extensive driving, oil leak came again, until i replaced my front crank seal and re-sealed oil pan.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar oil leak in my car. It doesnt leak enough to make any sort of difference but I do have to wipe off my oil pan and the surrounding area every once in a while. I already took it to a mechanic and he replaced the oil pan gasket and checked the seals. Unfortunatly a couple weeks after getting this done I noticed it leaking all over again.

It doenst seem to be doing any damage but it is quite annoying. Let me know if what you do stops it, I might try the same.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Probably the crank pulley seal.... thought it was my oil sending sensor when I had my leak a few months back, but it wasn't (at least that part is new now). Ended up being the seal. Like others said, I'd check there first. Oh so common on these cars.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
also.....

there is no gasket between the pan and block, only a nice layer of nissan red rtv gooey stuff, also it is not advisable to use a cutting wheel to scrape the stuff off.........just an fyi.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a gasket between the oil pan and block.
It's cork and high heat rtv sealant is used with it.
To me it was worth the extra 10 bucks (I'd like to think so). I haven't had any oil leaks, the pan stays perfectly dry, and I haven't had any problems yet.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
hold on a sec.....

okay, just to set it straight, cork is absorbent, that is how it seals, rtv, with silicone, shields and blocks, mix that and that, how can the cork do its job?? just wondering because Nissan only gaskets their auto tranny, and that's it, don't mean to be rude, but i worked and have been working on nissans for a long time now.............

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys sorry i haven't followed up this thread..but yep it was the outer crank seal. $65....i got my mechanic to do it. hopefully this is the end of my oil leak problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts