Nissan Forum banner

Oil Leak

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  CASTLK 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a '99 sentra with a 1.6L 5speed and it has had an oil leak for about four months now, I redid the oil pan gasket and it still has a leak on the passenger side and leaks more toward the front or middle of the engine where all the pulleys and accessories are, any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
This is the front main seal that you'll need to replace (crank seal). Cost is about $6.61 and 1.5 hours of work. Steps:

1.) Loosen nuts on wheel
2.) Jack up car
3.) take nuts off
4.) Remove both belts, power steering belt has a tensioner nut and lock nut you will need to losen
5.) If you have an idler pulley, it's easy to take the main belt off by loosing the nut
6.) After nuts are off, you'll need to get a air rachet to losen the crank nut. I can't remember the exact size (around 1 1/16 or so)
7.) once nut is out, wiggle crank pulley back and forth till pulley comes off
8.) Once pulley is off, you'll see the seal. Take a curved screw driver and gently remove seal without scratching the edges
9.) to put new seal back in, use a small piece of wood to put seal in FLUSH. You don't need a hammer, just slowly push it in.
10.) reassemble

Sounds harder than it actually is. There is a walkthrough on here on this issue, very common on this motor. Do not do the start trick to get the nut off. The issue with this is, you won't be able to get it tight when you go to tighten it. Good Luck.

Here's the part you will need. I recommend this one since it's made by Nissan. The first one I got was from Autozone and didn't hold as well.

CourtesyParts :: [13042] SEAL-OIL,CRANKSHAFT FRONT - Sentra / 200SX (B14U) 1995-03/1998 1.6L
Jason

#7 ·
Oil leaks, other places to check.

That front seal is usually the problem but I have found that the power steering reservoir hose is often also the problem. That hose goes from the reservoir to the pump and deteriorates. It leaks right though the hose. It will drip down between the pump and the firewall and the wind will whip it everywhere!

Also check the oil pressure sending unit. It is located just above and to the passenger side of the oil filter.

#8 ·
That front seal is usually the problem but I have found that the power steering reservoir hose is often also the problem. That hose goes from the reservoir to the pump and deteriorates. It leaks right though the hose. It will drip down between the pump and the firewall and the wind will whip it everywhere!

Also check the oil pressure sending unit. It is located just above and to the passenger side of the oil filter.
Yep. I need to replace this as well. Believe it's noted as the "oil pressure sensor" not sending unit.

#14 · (Edited)
My opinion, buy motor swaps on this car is a complete was of time. The 1.6 you'll read is by far one of the best gas saver, realible motors ever! By the time you are done with all the $$ spending in swaps or build up, I'll still beat you in a 89 mustang that is bone stock. These cars weren't made to be fast...they're damn sedans, family cars, gas savers, etc. :lame: The 94 sentra's are in another class. You might want to post there. Do yourself a favor and don't swap it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.