Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil leak and there is oil on top of my valve cover and a little oil leaks down in my spark plug holes. I replaced the seal around the valve cover and i replace the oil cap and it still leaks. I have a pretty good leak. I think it may be the rear main seal or front main seal. But i really dont know alot about that. When the oil leaks on the ground its is around the center of the car. Please let me know what i can do about this and what it is. Thanks.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
m_seats said:
I have an oil leak and there is oil on top of my valve cover and a little oil leaks down in my spark plug holes. I replaced the seal around the valve cover and i replace the oil cap and it still leaks. I have a pretty good leak. I think it may be the rear main seal or front main seal. But i really dont know alot about that. When the oil leaks on the ground its is around the center of the car. Please let me know what i can do about this and what it is. Thanks.
well the oil leak in the spark plug is also a gasket every hole you have on your valve cover has a little o ring gasket for each one.. you should have gotten them with the other gasket you got for the valve cover. i had a hudge oil leak this is what you do. go to autozone or what ever autopart store you got by your house. by soem break part cleaner. jack the car up and spay it every where clean all the oily spots. start the car hold the rpm about 3k or so for a lil while to act as if the car is going down the street now leaving the car on get under it and check to see where it is leaking from. if its the front sseal its comming from behing the crank pully. the rear mina would be where the tranny bolts to the motor. also check how tight the bolts on your oil pan. and tell me how well that works out. mine leaked from the oil jackets in the front cover cause i didnt replace the seals while doing a chain tensioner job. let me kno wuts up

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oil leaking into plug holes was the valve cover on my car, but not sure of details. I bought it, went to change the plugs, and found them covered with oil. It was fixed under warranty. When my front main seal went, I thought my compressor was leaking. (LOL). Little did I know these engines have the common front main seal leak. I took it to the dealership, and they diagnosed it as front main seal and oil pan gasket. By that time there was oil all over the bottom end of the engine. Since the oil pan gasket was replaced under warranty, at the same time the valve cover gasket was repaired, I opted for the front main seal replacement only. Problem solved. One other leak was the oil sending unit. I was getting oil around power steering hoses, the top of the oil filter, etc. Thought it was the power steering leaking, then the oil filter. Oil sending unit was cracked, dripping and spraying oil in surrounding area. It is next to the oil filter. Easy to replace with the proper socket. Maybe this will give ideas as to possible leaks. Rear main is seeping as we speak, but, so far, I only see a drop of oil hanging where the transmission is mated to the engine.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Catman said:
Oil leaking into plug holes was the valve cover on my car, but not sure of details. I bought it, went to change the plugs, and found them covered with oil. It was fixed under warranty. When my front main seal went, I thought my compressor was leaking. (LOL). Little did I know these engines have the common front main seal leak. I took it to the dealership, and they diagnosed it as front main seal and oil pan gasket. By that time there was oil all over the bottom end of the engine. Since the oil pan gasket was replaced under warranty, at the same time the valve cover gasket was repaired, I opted for the front main seal replacement only. Problem solved. One other leak was the oil sending unit. I was getting oil around power steering hoses, the top of the oil filter, etc. Thought it was the power steering leaking, then the oil filter. Oil sending unit was cracked, dripping and spraying oil in surrounding area. It is next to the oil filter. Easy to replace with the proper socket. Maybe this will give ideas as to possible leaks. Rear main is seeping as we speak, but, so far, I only see a drop of oil hanging where the transmission is mated to the engine.
now when you say oil sending unit your talking about that whole front cover that covers the timing chain..cause i dont kno any other part by the oil filter that has oil in it on the side of the block. the oil sending unit is not an easy job. you gotta have just the right amount of silicon or else its gonna leak way worse i had similar problem. abouta qt. of oil a day. also theres 2 little oil jet rings you might want to replace if your taking that front cover off with my guess i bet those are why its leaking in the first place i dont tihnk its cracked but i could be wrong

·
Registered
450 Posts
now when you say oil sending unit your talking about that whole front cover that covers the timing chain..cause i dont kno any other part by the oil filter that has oil in it on the side of the block. the oil sending unit is not an easy job
I did not describe it right. It is the oil pressure sending unit. It is the thing used for the information that goes to the idiot light on the dash. Here is the one I installed:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...GPS&MfrPartNumber=365020&PartType=417&PTSet=A

I believe it is to the right of the oil filter. I had to buy a 1 1/6" deep socket to remove and install, that was about as much as I paid for the part (LOL). Since then I found that Auto Zone has a universal deep socket that was cheaper. I just unhooked the harness, unscrewed the oil one, and snugged up the new one. I think it is a little to the right of the oil filter. The only reason I mentioned it is he described oil around the center of the car.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
m_seats said:
It's one of the four seals on your valve cover that surround your spark plugs. You could remove the valve cover and inspect the four rubbers on it from the inside... I don't think you can replace any of those four seals. I'd just buy a new valve cover... or used but not too beat up.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
The valve cover has a drain hole or groove to channel any fluid that's on top of the valve cover, draining in towards the distributor side and off the engine block... ends up underneath your engine. The front main seal has nothing to do with this oil leak, that's on the other side of the engine. That's all the info you'll want from me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Twiz is right. The spark plug seals in the B14 valve cover are not replaceable, you have to buy a new valve cover. The B13 has replaceable seals, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the help. Ill try to get a new valve cover and see if that oil pressure sending unit is leaking too. I just hope it doest have anything to do with the rear main seal. If it was the rear main seal would it still leak when the car is off because my car only leaks, i think, whenever my car is warm, it doesnt whenever it hasnt been running.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
m_seats said:
Thanks for all of the help. Ill try to get a new valve cover and see if that oil pressure sending unit is leaking too. I just hope it doest have anything to do with the rear main seal. If it was the rear main seal would it still leak when the car is off because my car only leaks, i think, whenever my car is warm, it doesnt whenever it hasnt been running.
i dont think it should leak when the car is off cause when the oil sits at the bottmo of the pan its a pretty goood ways under the seal

·
Registered
26 Posts
m_seats said:

I had changed the screws from philip head to stainless steel screws with spring washer as I notice they will go lose after sometime... now seems ok... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts