Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 nissan path le 146k

hi i noticed oil covering my steering rack but only on the drivers side, for a while i though it was steering fluid or a faulty steering rack but the rack works and i have no loss in steering fluid (ive been monitoring it for the last 3 months and i have the same amont of steering fluid), anyone know from where the oil could be leaking from?

i have ruled the valve cover gasket or the head gasket, i suspected an oil pan leak but theres not much oil around it, anyone what could it be?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just slight seepage maybe.
at first i though that but every time i clean it off its covered in oil again in a week

whats directly above that area?
its at the end of the steering bracket on the drivers side right next to the tire, so right above it is the oil filter(which isnt leaking)

how are your other fluid levels?
all other fluid levels are good, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil, tranny fluid, steering fluid are all at their required levels

i dont know if this helps but i also notice oil covering the bell housing of the transmission which i think could be the rear main seal or maybe the end of the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
what about residue from an oil change? you said the filter is right above it.

I would spray the area with degreaser (engine block where the oil filter is, frame, and steering) with it completely oil/fluid free you should be able to tell what its from.

is the rack just damp or actually wet? if its wet touch it with your finger, you may be able to tell if its coolant, oil or whatever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same problem

Hi,

I noticed the same thing while working on mine. I had to remove the airbox while doing some work and it appears that my leak is coming from the front engine cover (timing chain / cam cover maybe). Anyway it looks like a whole bunch of work for such a small leak. If anyone else has seen this, I would appreciate feedback on how hard this gasket is to replace.

Thanks,

-Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about residue from an oil change? you said the filter is right above it.
the filter is completley clean and theres no oil leaking from it

is the rack just damp or actually wet? if its wet touch it with your finger, you may be able to tell if its coolant, oil or whatever.
its wet and it smells like motor oil, if i clean it its wet again in a week

i will post some pics tommorow if it helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics would help, I wasnt talking about the filter itself but where it goes on the block.
ok, here we go, steering rack:

oil filter(i see no leak, always clean):

looking up onto steering pump:

and if i look back at my transmission:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts