Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Hello everyone, nice to meet you.

Alright, I have been battling this oil leak for a while now, and it's getting on my last nerve. Long story short, the car had an oil leak, and a code for the knock sensor. So, I took everything apart, removed the intake, replaced knock sensor, replaced all cam seals, replaced front main seal, new timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, etc etc.

So I put everything back together, runs good, engine light off, things are good. After dad is driving it for a while, starts smelling oil. So I pull the timing cover off and lo and behold there is still a freakin' oil leak.

So, in trying to find this mysterious oil leak, I pull the timing covers off, and put the car together enough to drive with no timing cover so as to locate this oil leak. Well, it looked like the valve covers...sooo, I took the intake off AGAIN and replaced all the valve covers. Put it back together, STILL LEAKING. I've read the VVT Intake cams can leak and cause something like this. At $420 a pop, I'm not really too keen on having to replace those. Currently I have the engine dissembled again, and I'm about to pull the intake cams and inspect for leaking.

The whole time I had the covers off while looking for oil, it only seems to leak when going down the road, and it spatters ALL OVER the place, making it really hard to isolate and know exactly where the leak is. I hope to God it's not the oil pump or something, really not wanting to do that. The oil seems to get in the ribs of the belt and get carried all over.

I'm also checking to make sure I didn't goof on installing the new seals, but I doubt it.

If anyone has an ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Also, this is a 95 Infiniti J30, but it's the same exact engine so that shouldn't matter. This is what I get for trying to help my Dad, sigh.

LaterZ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well never mind. After reading this [tips.mitchellondemand.com] and doing his check, one of the intake cams failed. It spins rather easily, and the other one doesn't.

I suppose my posts seems rather pointless now, oh well! Now to locate a cam gear that won't empty my wallet...

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
When you replaced the valve cover gaskets did you clean the surface well? Did you also remove/clean and silicon the VVT control units? One more thing use Nissan silicon only. It seems to be the choice of most DIY including me.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned all the surfaces as good as I could. I used Permatex Ultra Grey, which I have used for years with good results. I put silicone on the corners of the gaskets, but no, I did not remove any control units for the VVT. I didn't know that I needed to. The cam Sprocket that I checked out is the problem, but what could happen by not having taken out those VVT Control units? I want this to be done once and for all. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I cleaned all the surfaces as good as I could. I used Permatex Ultra Grey, which I have used for years with good results. I put silicone on the corners of the gaskets, but no, I did not remove any control units for the VVT. I didn't know that I needed to. The cam Sprocket that I checked out is the problem, but what could happen by not having taken out those VVT Control units? I want this to be done once and for all. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

You want to reseal the vvt control units or they will leak oil. The new silicon does not mend to the old silicon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts