Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy just purchased a '93 SER. We drove it home last night and parked it in the driveway. Well, this morning there was a 12 inch puddle of oil underneath the car on the passenger side near the front of the engine compartment.

The seller indicated that it never leaked oil before. Never having a Nissan before, I don't even know where to begin to look for an oil leak. I am gonna check the obvious like the drain plug and the oil filter. After that, I could use a little guidance.

Thanks.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Check the other obvious, like around the head gasket and the VC. I'd think that if it were the head gasket, based on where you're saying the puddle is, you'd have oil burning off as it hits the exhaust manifold. Sounds like it could be the main seal though, and being that it's on the passengers side that could be a toughie, not a lot of room to get to it. If it were the tranny side you could pull the tranny and have plenty of room to do that side's seal. If you can't find the leak, I'd powerwash the engine off real clean and then park it and watch for oil. I'm willing to bet that you're going to find it pretty easy though.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil leak

I think we found our problem. It appears that the oil pan is really corroded and is seeping oil. Thank goodness, this should be a cheap fix.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chances are is that it is the front crank seal. Oil will run along the oil pan seam and appear to be the oil pan but just make sure. I have seen oil run halfway across the oil pan from the front crank seal. It really is not hard to replace the front crank seal. Take off the belts remove the crank pulley and there it is. Use a screwdriver and pry out the seal. Clean off all the oil and dirt. Tap on the new seal flush with the cover and your done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As Born said, it's probably not the Oil pan. They rarely go. It's probably the front crank seal but it could also be the oil pressure sensor/switch or even the front cover. A 12in puddle is a lot though.

The best thing you can do to check is to clean off the entire area with a good solvent... (I like Gunk's Foamy Engine Cleaner spray cans) get under the car with a tooth brush if you need to and really make sure that the whole crank side of the engine is clean. When the car is dry, check to make sure you have enough oil in the engine and then crank it up and wait to see where the fresh oil is coming from. If it's from the front crank seal, you'll see oil on the crank pulley (on the gap between the block and the pulley).

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil leak update

I replaced the oil pan and put a new bead of sealant around it and....no more oil leak. Upon closer inspection, the pan appeared ok, no rust through. Perhaps it was bent or the sealant was compromised. No more oil on the driveway.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep an eye on those other items mentioned.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts