Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my 90, i noticed i have an oil leak coming from the front of the motor. my guess is front main seal or one of the cam seals, but anyway. Z1 motorsports has a 60k maintenance that has all the seals and belt (but also has water pump, thermostat, and vtc springs and o rings). how necessary is it to replace everything in perenthesis? is it worth it or should i just get the seals and belts?
thanks for the help

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Do it right the first time and you won't have problems in the future. Did you get other vendors for the 60K thing, IPP?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
z1 is the first place i really looked. i got a gift card there for christmas and i'm sure a dealership is prolly more expensive. i work at a chevy dealership so unfortunately the only parts i can get at a discount are from carquest or something and like you said, do it right the first time, and you know how much carquest screams quality lol. i know you get what u pay for i just was wonderin if it was really necessary to get a whole new water pump and thermostat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This engine looks pretty close to my 300 zx. Once you get into it you might as well change the cam seals, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner, hoses, and belts. Then you wont have to worry about it for a while.

That oil leak will break down the timing belt and cause it to fail prematurely. Mine broke and bent 5 valves. Then you will spend alittle time and money.

The manual that I have says 105,000 between timing belt change outs.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
This engine looks pretty close to my 300 zx. Once you get into it you might as well change the cam seals, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner, hoses, and belts. Then you wont have to worry about it for a while.

That oil leak will break down the timing belt and cause it to fail prematurely. Mine broke and bent 5 valves. Then you will spend alittle time and money.

The manual that I have says 105,000 between timing belt change outs.
Great words of advise!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, i've pretty much made my decision i just need to call nissan and get the prices on parts. i am upgrading to a kevlar belt tho just thinkin of later down the road. but yea a guy at my work said he'd help so i won't have to pay labor or worry about doing myself and he has a lift at his house so it shouldn't be too bad, thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Timing Belt Change out

My Son (16 years old) and I changed out the timing belt and tensioner last weekend. While we were there we changed out the water pump and thermostat. All of the hoses and belts and spark plugs, rotor, and dist. cap.

Everything should be good for another 105,000 miles. I let him do most of the work with only my direction.

That was a learning experience for him.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
My Son (16 years old) and I changed out the timing belt and tensioner last weekend. While we were there we changed out the water pump and thermostat. All of the hoses and belts and spark plugs, rotor, and dist. cap.

Everything should be good for another 105,000 miles. I let him do most of the work with only my direction.

That was a learning experience for him.
Nice bonding experience! Something he'll always remember. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts