Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:

I have an oil leak which appears to be different than those already posted in this forum. I am not really sure what the problem is, so please enlighten me if you can.

I noticed oil residue on the front portion of the oil pan (95 SE-R). The rear where the drain plug is located appears to be dry. Also, I noticed there was oil on the block (?) when I removed the passenger side wheel well splash gaurd. There was also oil residue on the splash guard that covers the radiator drain plug.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what my problem is? My present thinking is that the oil pan gasket is leaking, but that does not explain the oil on the block when viewed from the passenger side wheel well with the splash guard removed. Are there two problems here?

Thank you.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Is the "oil" on the passengers side well cover on the engine side of the cover or the wheel side? If it's on the wheel side of the cover it could be brake fluid, although I'd think you'd notice if that were the problem with brake related symptoms, or your outer CV joint is blown on that side. If it's on the inside of that cover on the passenger side, you could have a bad main seal, your oil filter might not be on tight enough, your VC cover could be leaking on that side, your timing cover gasket could be bad. Could be lots of things. It depends how far up on the engine you still see oil, and I couldn't get a good idea of where that is from your description. I'd use some degreaser and wash the engine down really good. Don't use that gunk engine brite crap, it'll be burning off your engine for weeks, if you do use that, use it sparingly. Then let the car set until it's all dry. Go for a good drive and come home, let the car cool off and see what you find. I have to go through this same process soon as I have a leak on that side as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Definitely, clean your engine first. Follow Tool's directions... because there are soooo many things this could be. If it's the VC gasket, it's a piece of cake to install a new one... one of the cheaper fixes too. Hope it's not coming from your cv joint... yeach.

Later,
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts