Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2004 Spec-V SE-R, It has 64,000 miles and i'm burning alot of oil. I'm smokin' alot through my exhaust, like a chimeny (spell check please). I was told i might need a new engine, what are some options i can take, that would be cheap. Oh, btw i LOVED my car, and i still have some kind of love for it. please help

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah dude my bro has a 2002 pathfinder le, he had the same problem and since his was under warranty they ship and built a engine for him luckily it was still under warranty otherwise it would have coast a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
231 Posts
I took this insert from
Nissan Sentra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While the SE-R Spec V was considered one of the best valued sports sedans[1], it had a few serious design flaws that would cause plenty of grief amongst SE-R owners. One common problem involves the Intake Manifold "Butterfly" screws being loosened over time and eventually being ingested into the Intake. This would obviously cause a great deal of damage, and there have been plenty of SE-Rs with new engines because of this. The solution adopted by many owners was to use Loctite to force the butterfly screws in place. Nissan later recalled 04 and early 05 models to have a similar procedure performed on the intake manifold. The butterfly screws were replaced with a new design and had loctite applied during installation, a mesh screen was installed as well in case a screw still became loose. Previous years including some 2004 models were refused the recall by Nissan. Other such problems involved the infamous "Pre-Cat" failure.[2] In the exhaust system unburnt fuel that entered the Pre-Cat could potentially ignite; over time bits of the Pre-Catalytic Converter would break off and be sucked back into the engine. The QR25DE has no EGR valve, by design the exhaust valves are left open for a short period of time during the intake stroke to reburn fuel in the exhaust system, this is when particles from the Pre-Cat have an opportunity to re-enter the engine causing damage. The solution to this by Nissan was to have dealers replace the Pre-Cat with a new Pre-Cat of the same design and making ECU modifications. Many owners have experienced multiple engine failures due to this, others have accused Nissan of simply putting a bandaid on the vehicles until most of their warranties have run out. Nissan has basically refused to find a solution to this problem. Many owners have again been forced to come up with their own solution which was replacing the OEM exhaust manifold with an aftermarket "pre-cat-less" manifold. This is not illegal in most states, except for California where it may not pass a visual inspection. This modification is legal due to the fact that only the pre-cat has been removed and the catalytic converter is still intact. This solved the problem of ingesting pieces of Pre-Cats that come apart over time by removing the Pre-cat entirely. Every year of the SE-R from 2002-2005 has been found to be capable of the same failure. No 2006 models have been reported as of this posting. However, 2006 models have had their own problems when Nissan switched the design of the oil rings to save costs. These engines had to be recalled due to multiple engine failures and fires.[3] These failures have also affected all 2.5L Altimas as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts