Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just wondering if someone here knows... i have a friend with a Civic who uses oil instead of water to cool down the engine... is that possible? i have seen oil coolers but they're for the oil system, not the normal water cooling... ideas?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
SergioCR said:
Hello, just wondering if someone here knows... i have a friend with a Civic who uses oil instead of water to cool down the engine... is that possible? i have seen oil coolers but they're for the oil system, not the normal water cooling... ideas?
Don't do it, oil does not have the thermal capacity to move heat like water does.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
Re: Re: Oil instead of Water for cooling?

morepower2 said:
Don't do it, oil does not have the thermal capacity to move heat like water does.
i second that. also, how does he cool the engine with oil? what kind of oil? i am very curious to see his setup.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, well it feels like very thin oil, i'll try to get a picture of the engine bay and cooling stuff so you guys can take a look at it.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
In fact they use oil as the medium in those electric portable radiator stytle heaters because they retain heat so well, just what you don't want in a car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Centurion said:
In fact they use oil as the medium in those electric portable radiator stytle heaters because they retain heat so well, just what you don't want in a car.
Jmm, but if it retains heat then cools down thru the radiator doesn't it should be better than water since oil doesn't evaporate at the point water does? or the oil doesn't cools down faster enough??

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
SergioCR said:
or the oil doesn't cools down faster enough??

Yes...oil dosen't give up its heat as readily as water.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jmm, so i guess that the "Competition Oil Coolers" that claim to cool down the engine oil doesn't work too good....

P

·
0 Posts
Oil will also deteriorate all the rubber components in the cooling system - they aren't meant to be immersed in oil.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
SergioCR said:
Jmm, but if it retains heat then cools down thru the radiator doesn't it should be better than water since oil doesn't evaporate at the point water does? or the oil doesn't cools down faster enough??
remember, the water is in a pressurized system to you can raise the boiling point, so that is why it doesnt evaporate. oil retains heat, doesnt dissapate it like the properties of water, but maybe their is some kind of oil out there that can? maybe synthetic? huh, who knows....

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Clarification

SergioCR said:
Jmm, so i guess that the "Competition Oil Coolers" that claim to cool down the engine oil doesn't work too good....
They cool the oil itself, NOT the engine. Keeps the oil from breaking down as quickly, increases longevity, etc.....

Same concept as a radiator. The radiator cools the COOLANT so it is cooler as it circulates through the cooling system.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Clarification

wes said:
They cool the oil itself, NOT the engine. Keeps the oil from breaking down as quickly, increases longevity, etc.....

Same concept as a radiator. The radiator cools the COOLANT so it is cooler as it circulates through the cooling system.
so it may be a good add-on so the oil doesn't die that fast... or at least keep it working better, doesn't matter what type of oil, i still change it at 3000mi.

Is there any problems with oil leaks on those oil coolers that i might be aware of?

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Oil is a significant extractor of heat from an engine. Air-cooled motorcycles need air flow around the cylinders and head but also receive benefit from the heat rejected by the oil in the sump. My Bandit is designed to cool the head around the valves with engine oil and the bike has a radiator/cooler/heat exchanger (all three names are appropriate).

As for using oil as the only coolant in a car engine, that won't happen. The exchange area needed to do so isn't practical on a car. As Centurion noted, oil has a low heat capacity...which doesn't mean it can't absorb much heat but rather it won't absorb or release heat quickly like water. It would take a REALLY huge exchanger to reject the heat fast enough to keep the engine from melting stuff.

Competition oil coolers do work, but only as a means to control sump temperature in a WATER- or AIR-COOLED engine. Oil breaks down rather quickly once it reaches 250-260 ºF and this destroys its lubricating properties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts