Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Farms suck!
766 Posts
I've never seen under a pulsar's hood, but even a strap wrench won't fit!? That must be a really, really tight spot. I can understand an end-cap style wrench not fitting, but you must just be going at it at the wrong angle or something. Even being a Grease Monkey myself, I've never heard of a filter that difficult.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got an email back from Nissan Parts today about the oil removal tool, I hope you guy are sitting down for this. They want

$Au140.00 :wtf:

I'm not surprised it cost that much, since the engine bay was design by a bunch monkeys, they had to bring in the experts to design an elobrate tool to get the oil filter off!!!!!!!!!
The screwdriver method is looking more appealing even if I can't get my hand in there

· Registered
13 Posts
Screw drivers do work!!

Though not my prefered method for removing an oil filter. When you have one that is just nasty stuck on, drive a screw driver all the way thru it...apply some steady pressure and there ya go. Its alittle messy too!

· Registered
950 Posts
Hey all you screwdriver fans, have you tried your Sir Lancelot trick with a chinsey-ass filter like a Fram?

Some of the better filters with thicker canisters might hold up OK but I remember one afternoon with a ******* buddy who had no proper wrench, was unable to get it off by hand, had pierced the (Fram) filter with a screwdriver and had managed to carve off most of the whole filter.

For that, he ended up using a pair of water pump pliers to grip the jagged metal and try to get the remainder to turn. He ended up ripping most of jagged metal off the baseplate ... but eventually got that off too.

The job which should have taken 15 minutes took well over an hour. :rolleyes:

Then what does he do? Puts the new filter (pretty sure it was a Fram) on as tight as he could by hand. :rolleyes:

In short, if you think you're gonna have the car for at least a couple of years, invest the $5-8 in a good wrench. Hard to beat any of those made by Lisle.

· I got a new engine!!!
491 Posts
one time the filter was stuck on my car so i wraped sand paper around it to get a good grip on it... twisted it and it worked just fine. I mean you dont have to worry about scratching the old one up because your going to throw it away anyways.

· What is Seven Ten for?
4,744 Posts
at work we had to change the oil in the truck and the oil filter wrench was nowhere to be found. WE took a pair of channellocks and just gripped the hell out of it, and turned it off. Not sure if you have enough room for that, nor if your having problems still or not, however, this may help someone else later on down the road.

· in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
6,117 Posts
HATEnFATE said:
There are pliers out there designed specifically for oil filters. On my 91 SE-R, there is NO room to get a filter wrench of any kind on the filter.
that's exactly why i got my wrench. the sr20 has that little drain lip thingy under the filter that makes it impossible to get your hand around it.

· Registered
752 Posts
The screwdriver works in a pinch but only as a last resort. What sucks is that as soon as you puncture the can oil pours all over everything. Then if you're lucky you can get a quarter turn. Now you pull out your screwdriver and try to grip a slimy oily mess only to figure out you now gotta skewer the can again hoping it doesnt collapse from just one more hole....
What I have always used, without failure, is a 3/4" wide leather belt. Just wrap the belt around the filter about 1 and a half times and pull like hell. Just make sure you're going the right way.

· What is Seven Ten for?
4,744 Posts
Bror Jace said:
" ... we took a pair of channellocks and just gripped the hell out of it, and turned it off."

That'll work, for sure, but it really shouldn't come to that. The proper wrench is just a few bucks.
I said at work, if it was UP TO ME, yes the 6$ for the oil filter wrench is worth it, but we're still working on trying to get a jack so we don't have to crawl under the damn thing.

· DANIEL REYES is a THIEF
434 Posts
I'm supprised nobody's mentioned to use an old timing belt; those suckers can grip anything! The teeth fit together and keep it from slipping nicely, plus it can get in very tight places. (cut it if it's too tight to slip over)

This tool will always be by my side when I change my oil.

Oh! Cleaning off dirt oil and grime from the old filter will help a lot :thumbup:

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
WhiteFox said:
I'm supprised nobody's mentioned to use an old timing belt; those suckers can grip anything! The teeth fit together and keep it from slipping nicely, plus it can get in very tight places. (cut it if it's too tight to slip over)

This tool will always be by my side when I change my oil.

Oh! Cleaning off dirt oil and grime from the old filter will help a lot :thumbup:
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Unfortunately (or fortunately), most of us mid 90's Nissan owners don't have timing belts lying around (and I don't think it'd work quite as well with a chain).

· Registered
115 Posts
wow you guys are savage beasts lol screwdrivers and crap. i've never had a problem using my hand to take anybodys oil filter off. If you put oil on the lil rubber seal before you put it on it should come off pretty easy when its time for the next oil change. and if you cant reach it pay a little kid like 2 bucks to stick his hand in there, it never fails :thumbup:

· Nissan Ninja
328 Posts
I saw a commercial a while back about this flappy rubber strap on a handle. I think it was from that oxyclean guy. it was to help old ladies open pickles and such. That seams like it would work nicely.

· Registered
22 Posts
The best removal tools are a chain loop with a boss on them to fasten to a socket bar ......... Mind you I allways used the screwdriver technique prior to getting one of these........ Put a film of grease on the rubber seal of teh new filter to aid removing next time ......... Don't forget to replace the Copper O ring on the sump bolt too ....... :)

I don't get it why you lot argue soo much ....... Some of you need a slapped bot bots off mummy :rolleyes:

· Registered
950 Posts
"The best removal tools are a chain loop with a boss on them to fasten to a socket bar."

These types of set-ups work well and have the added ability of being adjustable.

However, if you get an end-cap tool that fits your filter perfectly, thos are pretty tough to beat. Their problem is that they require a close fit and you need quite a collection of them to do a fleet of different vehicles. ;)

"Put a film of grease on the rubber seal of the new filter to aid removing next time."

:eek:

Most filter manufacturers specifically say to not use grease ... but to use the thin film of motor oil on the gasket as well as being sure to clean off the gasket-mating surface.

· What is Seven Ten for?
4,744 Posts
Bror Jace said:
"The best removal tools are a chain loop with a boss on them to fasten to a socket bar."

These types of set-ups work well and have the added ability of being adjustable.

However, if you get an end-cap tool that fits your filter perfectly, thos are pretty tough to beat. Their problem is that they require a close fit and you need quite a collection of them to do a fleet of different vehicles. ;)

"Put a film of grease on the rubber seal of the new filter to aid removing next time."

:eek:

Most filter manufacturers specifically say to not use grease ... but to use the thin film of motor oil on the gasket as well as being sure to clean off the gasket-mating surface.
yes to form a proper seal.

Strap wrenches are the best I think, we were able to jack one from another department at work (fuck they had 4 and 3 differnt sizes) for ours so now we got it easy.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hydrolock said:
Ya ram the sucka right through the bitch and twist it off... I thought that was general knowledge.
until you tin can it :(

a great trick is to tie a rag around the filter, slip the screw driver under the rag and twist it until the rag is very tight. Then if you position the screw driver right you can get great leverage at just about any angle :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.