Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
Yeah then how do you expect to get the new one back on.
Are you one of those people who use a filter wrench to put new oil filters on?

wildmane said:
Screwdriver anyone? That's what's been recommended to me. I've tried those oil filter wrenches and they just suck... well at least mine does. Get down and dirty and use a screwdriver!
A screwdriver? How do you get an oil filter off with that?

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
If you would've thought about what I said. Maybe you wouldn't have made yourself look like an ass by saying some smart comment.

If the only way you can get to the filter is with a screwdriver, is that how you expect to get the new one on?

How about you wait a second and think before you post. It doesn't take that long.

And no I use my hand taking off and on, it's quite easy:rolleyes:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was asking wildmane a question. I have never, ever seen anyone puncture an oil filter with a screwdriver to remove it (nor have I considered that to be a serious option).

I was also asking you a question about an important detail. I thought it would be a good point to clarify so fudge doesn't go and strip the threads on the block by putting too much torque on the filter. I'm not sure where you get that it was a "smart ass" question.

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
Yes as in refering to me as "One of those people who use filter wrenches to put the new one back on". I'm sure you were begin serious.... pft

The easy way to say it would be "Don't use the wrench to put the new one back on" and direct it to the original poster.
The thing about that is, you could have just as easily said "Absolutely not. Forcing the oil filter back on with the wrench is just asking for trouble."

You're a little too quick to jump to the defensive. Relax. I just word things in a way so that it gets other people into these kinds of threads.

(Besides, I don't randomly jump down people's throats unless I really dislike them. :p )

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
fudge1979 said:
All ready had one(but to big for oil filter used for my Ford Falcon), bought another two oil removal tool, both good quality tools, just the wrong tool for the job. The problem is there is not enough room to move, even just getting my hand in there is a problem. There is just too many other pipes and brake fuild canister is just in the way

Yeah had alook at that option and even then there is not enough room to move the screwdriver. just didn't want to risk it.

In the end I did't remove the oil filter, just replaced the oil. I sent nissan an email enquiring about this special removal tool, I'll keep u post when I find out more

Cheers

Peter
I saw this on the Au Pulsar forums:
http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=18639

I'm not sure if you've seen it already, but it seems like they're having pretty decent luck with a flexible strap wrench.

· Boxed Fox
1,322 Posts
WhiteFox said:
I'm supprised nobody's mentioned to use an old timing belt; those suckers can grip anything! The teeth fit together and keep it from slipping nicely, plus it can get in very tight places. (cut it if it's too tight to slip over)

This tool will always be by my side when I change my oil.

Oh! Cleaning off dirt oil and grime from the old filter will help a lot :thumbup:
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Unfortunately (or fortunately), most of us mid 90's Nissan owners don't have timing belts lying around (and I don't think it'd work quite as well with a chain).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.