Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I had no luck searching for "oil filter relocation" or "remote oil filter."

I'm looking for a high quality oil filter relocation kit for my '96 200SX. I'm new to the Nissan performance/parts world, and I'm not sure where to go. If someone could tell me about the various kits available (or point me in the right direction), I'd appreciate it.

Is the firewall the preferred mounting location? Any other caveats to be aware of? Who's a good/trusted vendor?

Thanks in advance.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage to doing this? I would imagine you have or plan to have other mods? And welcome to the boards!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main advantage is easier access to the filter. The filter actually isn't *that* hard to reach, but I don't like crawling around down there on my garage floor. I always spill some oil while changing too. If the filter were mounted on the firewall or somewhere else easily accessible from the top, I wouldn't even have to ramp/jack the car up for changes.

Other advantages could be: More oil in the system (not much, but the engine doesn't hold much anyways); Looks kinda neat.

As for other mods...I dunno. I've been pouring most of my mod-money into my MX-5, and there's not much left over at the moment. :)

Oh -- and thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I'm a regular over at miataforum.com. I hope this forum proves to be as useful a resource.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2073&highlight=oil+filter

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261&highlight=oil+filter

I bought a TD kit from Summit Racing. It worked pretty good while I had it. I did add one part that did not come with the kit becuase I wanted to be able to hook up my oil gauges at the filter block, but you wouldnt need that. Your luck I never have time to update my web site any more, check this out: http://www.99xe.nissanpower.com/photo3.html Its got the part number for the kit and you will be able to see how it goes together.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PatScott -

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that link before when I searched, but...whatever -- I'm glad you provided it.

First impression: that kit is insanely cheap. The kit I like for my miata (http://www.thompson-automotive.com -- no affiliation, etc.) costs $150. And the one I want, with stainless braided hoses, is $200.

After seeing where your filter mounts, I have a question or two. First, is that where it more-or-less "has" to go? Are there any other obvious places you can see to put it? Are you basically on your own as far as drilling the appropriate holes for the remote adapter? Can you imagine a way to mount it either open-side up or open-side down, rather than sideways? And finally, that part number says it's for "Ford: 260-460, all V8, V6 and inline 6; Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth: 273-440, all V8 and slant 6" -- and that really fits the 1.6 200SX?

Well, there's a mouthful of questions. Answer them at your leisure of course. :) And thanks again for your help.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
margomaps said:
PatScott -

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that link before when I searched, but...whatever -- I'm glad you provided it.

First impression: that kit is insanely cheap. The kit I like for my miata (http://www.thompson-automotive.com -- no affiliation, etc.) costs $150. And the one I want, with stainless braided hoses, is $200.

After seeing where your filter mounts, I have a question or two. First, is that where it more-or-less "has" to go? Are there any other obvious places you can see to put it? Are you basically on your own as far as drilling the appropriate holes for the remote adapter? Can you imagine a way to mount it either open-side up or open-side down, rather than sideways? And finally, that part number says it's for "Ford: 260-460, all V8, V6 and inline 6; Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth: 273-440, all V8 and slant 6" -- and that really fits the 1.6 200SX?

Well, there's a mouthful of questions. Answer them at your leisure of course. :) And thanks again for your help.
margomaps,
No problem, I knew that I had posted some stuff about that and when I saw this thread I figured I could help out.

Its a pretty good price and I had/have no complaints about it. I am sure for a decent price you could have someone make you the braided steel lines you want. I had even considered it while I was using mine.

Location, well the kit I have came with 30" of hose. I am sure you could find other places to put it. The location I use just seemed find at the time. I was "alone" on holes. You just need to find room for it and mount it anyway you want.

Yes that part number is right. If you go to TD's site and look under Imports you will get that number for the 200sx/Sentra 1.6L. The GA16DE uses 3/4-16 UNF(?) threads for its filter. That is a pretty common size. The only issue I had with the setup is that I could no longer use Nissan OEM filters anymore. I was using a Wix 51516 with it.

If you have anymore questions or if I left anything out just drop me a line.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
1. The filter block does not have the proper gasket sealing diameter for GA filters even though it has the same thread pitch.

2. I wanted to remote mount it to keep it from "hanging" from its own threads. The distance I have makes really no difference in reading. Its not that far, and its braided stainless hose.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bickmade said:
Looks cool and fun to do, but what purpose does this serve? Just curious.
Look up a few posts. I gave a couple reasons why I want to do it.

Additionally, I might add that the extra length of hoses probably results in a slight oil-cooling effect.

But the big advantage for me is just convenience.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Teknokid said:
I would do it to be able to hook up oil gauges but you would still have to go under the car to remove the oil from the pan. :(
Well, yeah, that's true. But depending on the height of your oil-catching container, you won't have to jack your car up or ride up on ramps in order to drain the oil. You can also buy an oil-drain valve that lets you drain the oil without removing the nut...I think Fram and another company make these. They sell for about $15. Together with an easily accessible oil filter, oil changes can become a painless, spill-less 15-minute job.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
ALthough its a cool idea, its just laziness. I would rather save myself the $15 and use it toward buying 4 qts of oil and an oil filter. It takes me only 10 minutes to change my oil and filter anyways. But whatever floats your boat.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Teknokid said:
ALthough its a cool idea, its just laziness. I would rather save myself the $15 and use it toward buying 4 qts of oil and an oil filter. It takes me only 10 minutes to change my oil and filter anyways. But whatever floats your boat.
If the definition of laziness includes doing or buying things that make one's job quicker, easier, safer, and more effective, then I agree wholeheartedly.

For that matter, owning a car is laziness. Why not just walk? If you're in a glass house...

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Youre right, it would make changin your oil safer, you wont have the risk of the car fallin on you, dont know about faster cause its just a matter of how long one takes. I have never seen the product that you speak of in action so I cant really say anything.

Nice arguement though margomaps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Teknokid said:
Nice arguement though margomaps.
Teknokid -

Well, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's arguing. ;)

Seriously, I must suck at oil changes, or I'm too deliberate/cautious or something, because it seems to take me more than half an hour. Maybe I should just get better at it, but I prefer the lazy way where I don't have to get under the car. :D

And I am *very* paranoid about being under the car. Irrationally so. The filter location in the 200SX is actually very nice compared to where it is in my Miata though. My Miata's changes take me almost twice as long.

You are right though: whatever floats yer boat. If you can do the job efficiently in 10 minutes, then a remote kit is probably a waste of your money. For me though, it just might be worth it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts