Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so apparently my '98 200SX SE is losing oil. It is not leaking, and it is not burning oil. I'm positive of the first and almost positive of the latter. I've had my friends drive behind me and look for blue smoke--or any smoke for that matter--and we've revved it to redline at idle looking for smoke or any sign of the engine burning oil. There is no black residue on the back of my car, and we've all been up under the car and there is no sign of oil anywhere. I can park anywhere for any length of time and no oil shows up. Where is my oil going? HELP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
front main seal was just replaced recently... and yeah, it's perfectly fine. I knew it was a big issue on our cars.

·
Registered
450 Posts
noname said:
Ok... so apparently my '98 200SX SE is losing oil. It is not leaking, and it is not burning oil. I'm positive of the first and almost positive of the latter. I've had my friends drive behind me and look for blue smoke--or any smoke for that matter--and we've revved it to redline at idle looking for smoke or any sign of the engine burning oil. There is no black residue on the back of my car, and we've all been up under the car and there is no sign of oil anywhere. I can park anywhere for any length of time and no oil shows up. Where is my oil going? HELP!
Not knowing your cars maintenance history, I will just give some general information. You can be burning oil and not realize it, since the amount is small enough to not be noticed (like blue smoke out the exhaust you looked for). First, check the PCV valve. If it is not working properly, it can increase oil consumption. A general guideline is to use an OEM PCV valve for best results. Also, if you bought the car used, and oil changes were neglected, the ring packs could be dirty. A dirty oil control ring/wiper ring will increase oil consumption if it does not move freely. Some oils do not hold up as well as others, and become to thin over time. Changing the brand and weight of oil may help. Driving patterns can matter. High speed driving can increase oil consumption. These are just some things I have picked up along the way. I would check the PCV if it was not changed recently first. Also, some leaks may not be evident unless you watch closely. My cam cover gasket was leaking into the plug wells.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think that our cars have a small rectangular seal under the valve cover gasket. If this goes then it will cause you to lose oil. I don't know if this is only on the older engines but check it out.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
jer28 said:
I think that our cars have a small rectangular seal under the valve cover gasket. If this goes then it will cause you to lose oil. I don't know if this is only on the older engines but check it out.
if the car is not leaking while parked in the garage then the problem is that it could because to a jerking motion or motion in general because my car had the problem that whenever i stalled or hit the breaks suddenly i would leak a little just my $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts