Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 27+ years of paying someone else to do oil changes I'm finally going to start doing it myself. I got the time and interest now plus, @ $30 each x 4 cars it really is adding up! I got stands and pan for Christmas, I already had ramps. Upon doing research for each car, it seems each has it's own specifics; gaskets, etc. so I'm trying to line-up everything and gather all info before I dive in.

So far, for an 05 Pathy I know I need 5.5 qts of 10w-30 and filter. Car has 38k miles and has always had conventional oil since new (as far as I know). I want to switch over to synth; and initially am thinking Pennz Platinum. For the filter, K&N. Feel free to recommend or criticize my choices.

Anything else I should have? Any things to look for? Any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
After 27+ years of paying someone else to do oil changes I'm finally going to start doing it myself. I got the time and interest now plus, @ $30 each x 4 cars it really is adding up! I got stands and pan for Christmas, I already had ramps. Upon doing research for each car, it seems each has it's own specifics; gaskets, etc. so I'm trying to line-up everything and gather all info before I dive in.

So far, for an 05 Pathy I know I need 5.5 qts of 10w-30 and filter. Car has 38k miles and has always had conventional oil since new (as far as I know). I want to switch over to synth; and initially am thinking Pennz Platinum. For the filter, K&N. Feel free to recommend or criticize my choices.

Anything else I should have? Any things to look for? Any advice? Thanks.
I've heard K&N and Fram aren't good for filtering anything... but others will have different opinions.

Wix is a very good oil filter to use, Purolator is another excellent choice. Stock Nissan filters are very good also, but will be pricey.

It won't be much of a difference but maybe go with 5w-30 oil, that's what is suggested in the owners manual.

When you change oil, you may want to consider removing the skid plate for easier access and less mess on the plate. If you have skinny arms, then all you need is a wrench/ratchet with a 12mm box... think it's 12, you'll have to check.

I'm getting my oil changes through Nissan for free... for as long as I own the Pathfinder. I change mine every 3 months, 4 times a year, as per agreement with the dealership. They fill it with conventional oil, but hey, every 3 months with clean oil for free, can't complain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts