Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I recently removed the intake throttle body in order to clean it, as i suspected it was completely covered in an oily soot type residue. I peeked inside of the intake manifold and it was also covered in this, plus had a few puddles of liquid !
Researching online I learned about oil catch cans, and how they help to eliminate this excess oil. My question is: Where exactly do I install his device?? In the hose that is attached behing the oil cap or the one on the left side os the valve cover that attaches to the intake piping itself? Im guessing the latter option, im I correct???

Thanks!!

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
You are correct; it is the hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake piping post MAF. Make sure you plug the hole in the intake piping once you install the oil catch can. Your dirty throttle-body could also be from your EGR valve.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In my case, i have a mini K&N air filter (remplaced valve cover to intake tube) In the PCV valve i have the oil catch tank, PCV valve to catch tank to intake manifold and work perfect.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Perhaps that is also a suitable place for a catch can but the place it is intended for is between the valve cover and the intake and you should not plug the hole in the intake. That is the whole point of the can. You need that draw from the intake to pull the fumes from the valve cover. If you have a mini breather filter on the valve cover then plug the intake and there is no point for a catch can. They are intended for people who want to keep that air circulating but want to keep the "junk" out of the intake.

·
Registered
215 Posts
OIL CATCH CAN

YOU HAVE 2 HOSES COMING FROM THE VAVE COVER. 1 TO THE INTAKE THE OTHER TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. TAKE BOTH OF THEM CONNECT THEM TO A T FITTING AND RUN IT TO YOUR OIL CATCH CAN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CATCH CAN, CAN HAVE EITHER A BREATHER OR RUN A VACCUUM LINE TO THE FRONT OF THE RADIATOR WITH A BREATHER. MAKE SURE YOU PLUG UP YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD AND INTAKE. IF YOUR LIKE ME YOU DONT WANT A BREATHER ON YOUR VALVE COVER BECAUSE IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE OIL COMING OUT OF IT.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
When I removed the plenum, mine was like this too and I had a breather on the valve cover portion and plugged the hard intake pipe. the TB never got dirty from the oil, but the PCV valve hose dumped oil into it. so, that is what I took to the Catch can. Oil residue will slow the air down over time with buildup. So, I suggest remove the upper plenum and really clean with degreaser and replace. If you are in tune to remove the lower, its a mess to deal with, but I did it to replace all of the radiator hoses, vacume, sensors, etc. Then clean that lower one. it will smooth the air out. as far as the EGR, its up to you. there is a little that gets into the one runner, carbon, mine was not too bad. I left the EGR system in tact. I have to wonder on 91-93 cars if that will flash a MIL light on the car. this is OBD1.

Chris 92 classic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts