Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 Sentra burns a lot of oil once it gets into the high RPM's. I have tried many additives that are supposed to "cure" it but nothing has worked. Any sugestions on what i should do? Its my first Nissan so i dont really know my way around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it burning the oil or is is leaking the oil out of your front crankshaft seal? Is there a lot of oil on the front side of your engine and is your alternator covered with oil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havn't checked the front crank shaft and there is no oil on the engine and the alternator has no oil on it. I dont see and oil leaks or puddles in the driveway so i think it is burning oil.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Btw. Is that smoking worse on cold engine at lower rpm:s and when getting hot not so bad? I just thought that when engine is cold and oil is cold oil pressures tend to be higher at lower rpms.

- No-Pain -

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm I wish mine was sitting around at that price. I paid 900.00 for and engine and trans that had 46k. Wear can you find an engine that cheap?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i was hoping it might be something easy. If im going to replace the motor i will swap it for an SR20DE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is true.
I think I might just get a similar engine, rebuild it, then put it in.

Just a question, if I wanted to drop an SR20DE in, is it true that i would need a new wiring harness and ECU among other things?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
this is true.
I think I might just get a similar engine, rebuild it, then put it in.

Just a question, if I wanted to drop an SR20DE in, is it true that i would need a new wiring harness and ECU among other things?
almost every time you drop a different than stock engine into your car, you need the wiring harness AND ECU (KLDE to KLZE in 2g MX6 being the only exception i know of, however the ECU still needs to be eprommed in order to get the change in performance).

the difference between GA16DE and SR20DE is that for the GA you only need engine, wiring harness, ECU, and throttle cable. your existing tranny and motor mounts bolt up. with the SR, you need custom mounts, an SR tranny, wiring harness, ECU, and whatever else could hiccup along the way. the GA is by FAR a simpler drop in. it's a standard engine swap, and most people who have never done anything aside from an oil change could do it with the right tools and proper direction. and if you had to pay someone, it wouldn't be so costly. maybe 10 hours of shop labour. SR20 will cost you $2000 for needed parts, and it'll cost 2-3000 to drop it in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I see. Well i didnt know that there was so much that was needed to be done. Well thank you so much. You have been a big help and a deciding factor on what to do with my car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes it does smoke worse on a cold engine. It still has to get up to about 3500 till it smokes though.

Mine was burning oil excessively and the kind folks on this forum pointed me to a small gasket under the valve cover that redirects oil to the crankcase. It comes with the V.C. gasket from Advance auto or you can get it separately from the dealer. I got both and found them to be a little different rubber compound so I used the Nissan part. Poof! No more oil burning. Let me know if you need the Nissan part #.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts