Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3000 km since the rebuild on my e16i
i took off the pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, and smoke from burning oil was coming out of it when the car is running. and i get lots of carbon build up in the lil entry way into the air cleaner, under that silver piece. what causes this and how can i fix it? i get no sut or anything out the back of the exhaust system.

·
just rattle can it
453 Posts
that's exhaust gas being passively recirculated into the air cleaner to be burned again. it's part of the emissions control system. there should be a small filter where the gas enters the cleaner. if this is dirty, you can replace it, or remove it alltogether and just plug the hole in the exhaust. there's no way to keep the engine from producing some carbon byproducts, but if it's burning a lot of oil, thats another problem entirely.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
Check the oil and see if it is still clean looking only 3000km since rebuild it should look near new if it dose not maybe you have a blow by problem. Run a compression check to ensure the cylinders are good and check the PVC system if it is clogged it will over pressurize the engine causing oil to escape.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
which parts of the pcv system could be clogged? ive already replaced the pcv valve. but theres a lil oil in the pcv line that runs from the top right side of the valve cover when ur facing the engine :S . how many lines are in the pcv system. i only know of the one that runs from top of valve cover down to the pcv valve.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
all about the custom ram air couda hood, i got 2 hoods all i need is a mig welder i think a ram air tunnel to the efi on a ga16i would work pretty good, how about u, o yea and i had a real bad oil burn with my e16i but the filter was always good so thats ruled out and i didnt have the greatest blow by either

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Alchemy said:
3000 km since the rebuild on my e16i
i took off the pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, and smoke from burning oil was coming out of it when the car is running. and i get lots of carbon build up in the lil entry way into the air cleaner, under that silver piece. what causes this and how can i fix it? i get no sut or anything out the back of the exhaust system.
This sounds like the AIV to me, I removed it in my car, sionce I'm running a weber and there is no provision for this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats the one i was saying in the first post that had lots of burning oil coming through it when the car is running. the metal tube from exhaust to air cleaner housing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts