Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally found an SE-R for sale.

92, Black, Classic SE-R. 104k, but less than 50k on new engine. Lowered, rims (that actually look pretty good!).

But I just wanted to get your guys' 2 cents on why the motor could be replace before the car had 100k on it. I haven't talked to the owner yet, I'll quiz him later. But can you guys fill me in on anything I should keep an eye out for. It was done professionaly so I'm not too too worried. But better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found out more...

Okay I found out the engine was replaced due to valve clatter. Anybody ever heard of anything like that?

Thanks!
Carlos

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Valve clatter on start-up seems to be a relatively common problem for SR20-powered cars. It happens on some motors and not on others, but, IIRC, the effects aren't too detrimental. Look for a leaky trunk (not a hard fix, but just a pain), sagging doors (B13 door hinges suck), and signs of crash damage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that was easy...

Well I finally got a chance to see that SE-R. Man, it would've broken your heart. Some kid fresh outta high school had done quite a number on the interior. It smelled like my chain-smoking grandfather. There was something nasty all over the dash and gearshift.

He had a POP charger on it and the rims weren't too bad. But the driver door was sagging a good inch if not more. The trunklid wouldn't close because the springs were shot (he thought it was because the stock wing was too heavy). The engine was somewhat clean, but I just hate to think of what that kid put the car thru. He had to replace the right front CV joint because of an incident with a curb. he ended up just replacing both joints.

After that it was minor stuff. Like the SE-R tag on the back was missing half of the "S", but there was a complete "S" stuck in the middle of the brake light on the wing. Where's the logic??? What is it with those things anyways? Why are they always getting broken off?

So needless to say... I'm back to square one. Not where I wanted to be. Let me know if you guys hear of anything for sale in this area.

Carlos...

Oh yeah and he had added a big "BANZAI Racing" sticker across the top of the windshield. Geez, now thats rice for ya!

S

·
0 Posts
Check out www.nwsr20de.com under the classified add section there are always some for sale. I found mine for about 2400 bucks but it has some minor body damage but the motor is strong even at 140000 miles... Check it out....

G

·
0 Posts
To aid in your search...

This car is in Sumner, WA.: http://classifieds.se-r.net/ForSale/fsMachine.asp?CategoryType=&SubCategoryType=&Description=Sentra+SE-R&MachineTypeId=CC1&MachineId=CC1M01YIP

And here's one in Eugene OR.:
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=98709236&dealer_id=572032&drive=&certified=n&max_price=&start_year=1991&end_year=1994&address=97035&body_style=COUPE&search_type=used&make=NISSAN&engine=&model=SENTRA&min_price=&distance=any&fuel=&advcd_on=y&advanced=y&sort_type=distance&first_record=126&transmission=&doors=2&max_mileage=&=&color=&car_year=1992&ac_afflt=none

Carlos, if I may offer a bit of advice...don't be afraid to travel to find a nice classic. I live in Spokane WA., and I have traveled to Tucson for a very nice, ultra-clean one owner '92 classic (Tucson = rust free:) ). And I also purchased my current car from Santa Clara CA. via se-r.net. Again, it was a one owner car with all service records and very low miles, well worth the $150.00 airplane ticket and two day drive back home.

If you find one that you are interested in that is not within driving distance, you can request that the owner take it to a shop (www.nissandriven.com for nationwide dealer locator) and have it pre-buyer inspected on your dime. You can also talk to the service manager/service writers to see if they know the car and will comment on the condition. Besides se-r.net, I use www.autotrader.com (Se-r VIN's begin with 1N4 G B) or www.cars.com. If you use cars.com, use the advanced search. It allows you to input and search for specific words, like se-r and ser (sometimes people don't put the hyphen in se-r).

Just some thoughts that might help.

gs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the advice. I had been wondering about the VIN's on the SE-R's and what they began with, so thanks for answering that one for me.

I do use Autotrader.com, but I also need to broaden my search when I'm looking. Cars.com has been working pretty well too.

I'm still a little "iffy" on that SE-R in Sumner. It sounds perfect. Original owner, serviced at the dealer since he bought it new. But the only think that's holding me back is that it has over 160k on it. He says it compares more to a car with 80k (which I believe). But it's just a little tough for me to swallow. I'm driving an 82 BMW 320i with 142k on it right now. That's original miles on engine and tranny. Shoot I just replaced the fuel filter and pump for the first time in the cars life. I wouldn't suggest ever letting something like that go too long like me. That'll never happen again. I really do need to go and look at that one though. Other than that...

I'm still on the hunt!

Carlos

S

·
0 Posts
I bought mine with a 142000 miles on it. The original owner had all the receipts for everything done at the dealer that was about three inches thick or so.... He also had the original window tag!!! I haven't had any probs with mine what so ever...... Worth every penny at $2200 bucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts