Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I have a 95 sentra GXE and its Odometer is stuck but the speedo meter still works.....

I am under the impression that when the cable snaps, the speedo also stops working .....Any Ideas???

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well first it would stop and then after a few miles start again and then a couple of times when I hit the reset button on the trip it would start again and then it just died one day.....

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I've been in the cluster many times and here's what I can tell you. speedometer/odometer syster is one piece. the whole system is electronic so there's no way a cable snapped (there are no cables). There is a motor in the speedo circuit board that turns the gears on the odometer/trip odometer. either the motor burnt out or the gears are slipping. I don't recommend you go inside and tinker with it since the cluster is very fragile.

I have 2 solutions to offer you. One is a direct swap and one is an upgrade. Go to http://car-part.com and search for a "speedometer" for a 95-98 Sentra GXE 1.6. Look for one with similar miles on it and you can just swap them in like 5 minutes.

The other option is to swap in a tach cluster. In case you don't already know, alot of people are swapping their sntra clusters with 200sx clusters for the benefit of having a tachometer. The swap would be great since you are already in this situation, but it's a more complicated swap.

Email me at [email protected] and we'll talk or AIM me @ j1997ga16de.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wifes did the same thing. Go to the dealer and buy another speedo assy. That's the only way, trust me. I tried to fix the broken one and broke it more. The dealer will only sell you a speedo modified with the same mileage that your stock one has. Well at least the one here in Hawaii does.

It's a beyatch, but its the only way. Pony up the bucks!;)

-verno

·
Registered
130 Posts
The odometer tends to break when you reset the trip odometer when the car is already in motion. I broke mine that way. It doesn't take a lot to break it I guess, just make sure when you get gas you reset the trip before you turn on your car and drive.
]

Great tip!!! That should be a sticky somewhere........

-Verno

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
You wanna know how I found out? I was on a trip to Sacramento from SoCal and I gased up... like 5 miles down the road I found out I forgot to reset the trip so I hit the button going like 95... it kinda rolled a bit and stopped, rolled a bit then stopped... then stopped. 360 bucks for a new one!

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing, but I've changed out the guages 3 times, so I think it got messed up somehow. But I'm not planning on selling the car, so I aint even bothering it. I just change my oil every 3 months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts