Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my car this morning and instantly it started making this "clanking" noise. After a few minutes the sound went away while the engine was at lower RPM's but would reappear above 2500 rpms. After about 5min total the "clanking" sound went away and I never heard it again on my 40 mile trip to work. I'm wondering if me starting my car up for a brief minute just to move it a few feet was the cause of this. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Slurppie said:
I started up my car this morning and instantly it started making this "clanking" noise. After a few minutes the sound went away while the engine was at lower RPM's but would reappear above 2500 rpms. After about 5min total the "clanking" sound went away and I never heard it again on my 40 mile trip to work. I'm wondering if me starting my car up for a brief minute just to move it a few feet was the cause of this. Anyone else have this happen?
I had a similiar sound in a Buick Regal, (Like a Diesel Truck) and had the bearings replaced. I would definetely get this checked.

Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have this problem also, my engine clanked as I started it, i found out that if I crank it longer, then it starts up smoother, if I just crank it for 1 second it starts rattling and clanking.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Slurppie, I start mine in the garage and never noticed anything untill this morning. I had a metalic sound resonate, and it went away but may have been what JBL experienced. A quick click on the starter and erratic combustion knocking(that`s what I call it). It finally smoothes out when all cylinders are firing in proper sequence.

Now my wife was about to get in the car and she thought it may be the heat shields on the exhaust because we had problems with the 94`s that we owned.

I`m going to have the shields checked tomorrow after I start it up in the confines of my garage once more.

BTW--- I check my oil in the mornings about once a week and I was down half a litre.,....go figure

·
Registered
178 Posts
Slurppie said:
Nope, just when I throw the cat in there. That was the first and only time it happened
That makes sense... around here we get cats crawling up into the engine compatment to keep warm... when the engine is started... you have diced cat. Very messy stuff, but they don't clank.

Cheers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Once in a great while I will get a loud metalic sound upon start up...I attributed it to the timing chain...Has not happend in a while and only seems to happen if the car has been sitting for an extended period...which is hard for me to determine..because it does this all of the time Sit that is:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Slurppie, yesterday at the dealer, I had my car inside and tried to duplicate the sound I heard and on the hoist to check out any loose or chafing clamps. NOTHING...... Like going to the dentist with a toothache.

I got the old "it may be some contaminated fuel or water in the fuel or just plain old wet weather so bring it back if it happens again" They think I`m loosing it. BTW I`ll need an affidavit from you and Wild Willy as to this noise. OK?

;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ratwayne said:
[They think I`m loosing it. BTW I`ll need an affidavit from you and Wild Willy as to this noise. OK?

;) [/B]
What noise??? Who are you again??? Why is your mouse wacking off???

·
Registered
271 Posts
There's a TSB on cat noises, Make sure you take it in and get all the pieces out and the noise should go away. TSB# NTB-911CAT

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hardcore said:
There's a TSB on cat noises, Make sure you take it in and get all the pieces out and the noise should go away. TSB# NTB-911CAT

You can actually make a cat sound like a dog. Pour gasoline over the cat, stand back and throw a lit match at it. It will go WHOOF.:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ratwayne said:
You can actually make a cat sound like a dog. Pour gasoline over the cat, stand back and throw a lit match at it. It will go WHOOF.:eek:
lol that's sick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts