Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's definitely an odd sound coming from my car (suprise suprise, it's a 240). Anywho, the sound only appears when I'm backing up, I don't even have to be in gear, if I coast down my driveway backwards, the rear end makes like a mixture between a grinding, and a grunting noise. I have no idea what it is, it never happens when going forward, and it happens in neutral, reverse or anything, as long as I'm going backward. Any ideas anyone?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,111 Posts
240luvr said:
There's definitely an odd sound coming from my car (suprise suprise, it's a 240). Anywho, the sound only appears when I'm backing up, I don't even have to be in gear, if I coast down my driveway backwards, the rear end makes like a mixture between a grinding, and a grunting noise. I have no idea what it is, it never happens when going forward, and it happens in neutral, reverse or anything, as long as I'm going backward. Any ideas anyone?
Could be the rear brake pad wear indicators scratching against the rotors. If so, the brake pads are worn.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm positive it's not the brake pad wear indicators, because it only does it when I'm going backwards, and whether I'm on the brakes or not. The brake wear indicators would squeel even if I was going forward correct? I'm pretty sure it's coming from my diff. Could it be that the diff is low in fluid? Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Many types of sqwealer tabs (Brake wear indicators), are one direction only. Many are forward sqwealing, but alot are backward sqwealing.

It should only take a few munites at a shop to have your rear pads checked.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
I had that same problem for like a month, and then I replaced my rear pads and rotors, and it went away.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
240luvr said:
i had the same issue a while back, i would get he clunk grinding noise when backing up once in a while. I replaced my rear brake pads and voila! Problem solved, don't ask me why it does it, thet just do... :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was always under the impression that brake pad wear indicators squeeled, not grinded and grunted. But alright, if you guys think it's the pads, then I'll check 'em out tonight. thanks guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts