Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... i got an obx header from ebay in the mail today. all i got was the actual header though. what more do i need to install? all that came was the 1 piece header. no hardware, gaskets, ect.

any help would be appreciated.

scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i just get that from a pep boys or any other parts place? that's all i need?

·
Registered
73 Posts
when I had my header installed they used the existing gasket...just be careful not to damage the old one when removing old header

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
I'd suggest going to Nissan and buying a new exhaust manifold gasket (as James already said). It will be worth it... the last thing you need is a problem with your old gasket. When installing my header, the OEM exhaust manifold gasket was all bent up, so I would have had to buy a new one anyways. Also invest in some copper gasket sealent for the down part of the header to the OEM piping just before the cat. Good luck! :)

·
Banned
809 Posts
isnt it goign to be hard to get the headers i there from OBX. how are you gogn to get them in.. are you goig to lift the engine out of the chassy to like. slide them in, or will they go up from underneath

·
Registered
500 Posts
So the secondary pipe and primary pipe are one piece? That should make installation pretty interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm sure it will be a whore to get it in there.... but i couldnt beat the price... 108 shipped... i'll figure out a way to get it in from underneath. thanks again for your help guys... i'm sure i'll have more questions when i start the install...

:D

·
Registered
500 Posts
$108 for a header? Is it any good? If I don't have to pay $450 for a hotshot header then I don't want to. If it sucks like pacesetter's then forget it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its supposed to be better than pacesetter.... not quite as good as h$ from what i understand... dont know if they have been dynoed or not though... i'm sure it'll be better than my stock one though:)

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
The header should fit perfectly if your car is non-cali 95-97. If you take off the bracket that holds the EGR pipe to the engine (just a few inches from where it connects to the header) you can easily screw it into the header. You also have to remove the bracket by the front engine mount that holds the stock manifold, b/c it hits the header and makes a horrible noise. Now the mainfold bolts would not completely tighten down on my header b/c the flanges hit the welds around the primaries. take one blot to a hardware store and they can match it up to some quality engine bolts without flanges. This is what I encountered with my "Top Speed" header which is the same as the Focuz and OBX. Hope this helps!

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
dundee said:
The header should fit perfectly if your car is non-cali 95-97. If you take off the bracket that holds the EGR pipe to the engine (just a few inches from where it connects to the header) you can easily screw it into the header. You also have to remove the bracket by the front engine mount that holds the stock manifold, b/c it hits the header and makes a horrible noise. Now the mainfold bolts would not completely tighten down on my header b/c the flanges hit the welds around the primaries. take one blot to a hardware store and they can match it up to some quality engine bolts without flanges. This is what I encountered with my "Top Speed" header which is the same as the Focuz and OBX. Hope this helps!
I didn't have any of those problems, it was pretty simple with the obx. The egr has a problem fitting but I think they designed it with the Fed version.

·
Banned
809 Posts
well im getting mine as well. :)... im bidding on them now.. ending at 7 AM.. NO ONE BID AGAINST ME.. i have lots of money.. and im not afraid to use it.. or make you end up having to pay 200$ lol!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how long did it take you to get everything together from start to finish? am i looking at an all day project, or about 30 min?

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
if everything goes smoothly ... one and a half hours

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ships quick... got mine on the second day... now i just have to wait for the intake manifold gasket to come in.... maybe this weekend....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts