21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi FarmerChef
Upstream NTK 24298
Downstream NTK 24407

From Rock auto right now a bit under 100 for both plus delivery. I bought mine off Amazon a bit over a year ago.
Here is a link for one ( Ignore Amazon not thinking its the right one)
NTK 24298 NGK/NTK Packaging Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen - Amazon Canada

Its a good deal. Cheaper than Rock Auto and free shipping. Just checked for the downstream and Rock Auto has best price at just shy of $44.

Both of these are identical to the original parts used by Nissan. Good luck changing them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi X-TRAILERS, As a newcomer, and having just bought a 2007/8 GX 2.5 petrol version here in Brazil, I'm not sure about the sensors you've been threading about. What I do know is that, soon after acquisition, the engine warning light came on, and, after a few kilometres, cut out. Luckily, I could restart and make it home. My competent mechanic, 2nd generation of a Japanese immigrant family, flashed his "videogame", his electronic test equipment. It showed a rev (rpm) sensor hidden at the back of the engine needed replacement. VERY EXPENSIVE ! Next day, I noticed that the idle would keep rising and falling between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm. Strangely, upon turning on the airconditioner (AC), the idle would fall to 800 or so, i.e the normal revs when the AC is off. Well, my Jap wizard used his electronic device again, and with a little reconfiguration, consisting of turning the ignition on and off at certain intervals, managed to fix the problem. It also goes to show that you don't need to pay an even more expensive arm and a leg at an authorised Nissan dealership. Good X-ing. BRIAN
Hello Brian.

(Edit: D'oh! I see you posted in 2015... about when I bought my X-Trail. I'll leave this reply anyway, as it may help others.)

I'm on the west coast of Canada, with a 2005 X-Trail with 370,000 km. I bought it 6 years ago, at about 240K and it has been a good vehicle. Engine and auto transmission are original. Alternator as well.

When I got it, it had the crankshaft timing sensor problem. The seller took $ off for that and I researched it and figured I could do it. Long and skinny arms help! The part is relatively cheap — and it is the same one used for the camshaft position sensor. There are a number of good on-line videos on how-to.

Anyway, the fix worked...for 6 years. Then the engine started to stall 1-2 minutes after a cold start — or it would take a long time to start on a slightly-warm engine. I put my "video game" analyzer on and it said the camshaft one needed replacing, so I did that. It is SO simple, on a left-hand steering X-Trail, at least. 5 minutes. I suspect it had never been replaced, as the o-ring was flat instead of round and it was a bit leaky. That fixed the oil leak problem as well. Bonus!

BUT... soon after, the stalling problem came back. Analyzer said "crankshaft sensor"... so I waited for a nice day and went at it. Altogether, it was about 2 hours. With practice, I could probably get it down to 1 hour. It shouldn't be THAT costly for a shop to do, if you're unsure of your abilities.

Everything is running fine now... except the position 1 Oxygen sensor is pleading for a replacement. I've been putting that off for a long time, so I guess that's next!

Cheers,

Barry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi FarmerChef
Upstream NTK 24298
Downstream NTK 24407

From Rock auto right now a bit under 100 for both plus delivery. I bought mine off Amazon a bit over a year ago.
Here is a link for one ( Ignore Amazon not thinking its the right one)
NTK 24298 NGK/NTK Packaging Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen - Amazon Canada

Its a good deal. Cheaper than Rock Auto and free shipping. Just checked for the downstream and Rock Auto has best price at just shy of $44.

Both of these are identical to the original parts used by Nissan. Good luck changing them out.
Six years later: I just ordered a Bosch Oxygen sensor from Rock Auto. After exchange and shipping: under $50 Cdn. The Amazon link is now $70, with free shipping — in 2021.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good on you. The reason for quoting the NTK parts was because they are the same as the OE Nissan ones, but a fair bit cheaper than what the dealer sells them for. I just checked and both the upstream ($42.63 Cnd) and downstream (35.31 Cdn) NTK are cheaper than the Bosch ones at RockAuto. It's worthwhile to change both at the same time. Assuming yours are original you will notice the engine runs smoother and that you get a bit better gas mileage.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts