Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought my first Nissan HB king cab XE yesterday. It's a '97 4cyl 4x4. It has 90K miles and is in immaculate shape. The guy I bought it from is older and only drove it to work. There are a couple questions I have, and I'm hoping you all might be of some help. First is the check engine light. It comes on when it's damp outside. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it's the O2 sensor and it's relatively common in the Nissan trucks. He said the connection get's loose and moisture finds it's way to the wires causing the O2 sensor to trip the check engine light. He said the easy fix is to wrap electrical tape around the wires, which he did, but yesterday it rained and the light came back on. Would any of you guys have any thoughts regarding this? Also, and this is likely pretty simple. The fan belt is really noisy, squeals a lot. What can I do to eliminate that?

Thanks for any help and I look forward to being a long time Nissan owner. It sure seems like a fun truck and my kids are in love with it already after 1 day.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty lucky find. That's less the 10k per year! My younger grandkids think the rear jump seats are cool too.

O2 problem could be the sensor itself.

The belts just need tightened. Do check and replace them if they show any signs of wear or cracking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Would replacing the belts be something easily done myself? And I coulda swore that I was told by a mechanic a few years ago that you can put lithium grease on the pully or the belt to shut up that noise, but I could be wrong. Where would be the best place to get a new O2 sensor? And lastly, I tend to use K&N air filters in my wife's Olds Alero and our family vehice, which is a Tahoe. Do many guys use them on Nissan's?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Replacing is a little tricky but can be done with a little care. I guess lithium grease could stop the noise, but I wouldn't use it on a belt.

Call the different parts stores and get the best price. Some folks indicate problems with aftermarket sensors. You might want to check some of the online Nissan dealers. I buy from Pinnicle in Pheonix but there are others.

I was going to get a K&N for mine but backed off. One of the posters here indicated that he tried 2 of them on his truck and they wouldn't fit. I do have one on my 01 Sentra.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve S,

I have a 2WD 1997 NISSAN Pickup 2.4L L4 F/I. Should be the same engine as your 4WD.

K&N site lists their Air Filter part number as E-9233. I have used the same filter for 10 years, and it does fit perfectly. I believe that Nissan did not manufacture any V6 engines that year for the HB. 1997 was the last year for the D21 Hardbody....so I fairly confident that E-9233 should fit your truck. Take a look at their website, they have a picture.

·
Registered
207 Posts
...O2 sensor is pretty straight forward. Mine was tripping the check engine light, and malfunctioning, so I replaced it. I don't think I paid more than $20 for it at autozone. The have a handy tool you can borrow to replace it. 15min job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts