Nissan Forum banner

O1 pathfinder crank no spark

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Amcip1 
#1 ·
Purchase an 01 Pathfinder without an engine it was missing wiring harness for the positive battery terminal. Purchase a JDM Engine from eBay track down the correct harness change front and back engine crank sensor and cam position sensor no spark. Rear crank sensor is getting power 12 volts had trouble checking signal at the coil seems to have voltage even when not cranking. Any ideas would be very helpful thank you

#3 ·
Perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if there's any fault codes which might help you finding your problem. Both front and rear crank sensors should see 12V with the ignition switch in the ON position. Make sure the engine ground connections are tight and no oxidation.

#5 ·
I forgot to mention I did scan it with my scan tool only code is water temperature sensor which I do not have to. As I'm missing the connector which is actually a strange connector into another connector according to the Nissan diagram but not sure that has anything to do with the spark issue. The rear sensor does have 12 volts but the front sensor I did not check for voltage it's a two wire not a 3

#11 ·
The scanner can tell you if the crank sensor (CKP) is working. There will be no engine speed reading while cranking if the CKP is inop. On older V6's, most ECM's won't start the engine if just one cam sensor (CMP) is working, but will start it after a long crank if both CMP's are out. So if the CKP shows good, try pulling the plugs on both CMP's and see if she'll run. To find out quickly if fuel is the issue, squirt some Brakleen down the barrel. If she starts and then dies then you have no fuel delivery.

#13 ·
You're most welcome! Amcip1 is right about the ECT sensor just causing the ECM to go "limp", it shouldn't prevent starting. Same for the HO2S's (on an '01 those may not even be diagnosed by the ECM until you get it running). One other thing, since this sounds like a complete swap... make sure the security light isn't lit. On older Path's I recall it's on the lower left dash. If it's solid red then the vehicle has an inductive smart key and it won't start till you get it programmed to the ECM. The security DTC's aren't OBD-II, so most cheap scanners won't pick them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.