Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently intalled new tires and wheels. motagi mr-7 and mich. exaltos, and every thing seemed fine. this morning, I started getting a bad vibration @ around 80 mph or so. Is there something else I should check? car seemed fine last night at same speed. Could one of the balance weights have come off?
I had the tires rebalanced after a few hundred miles at the advice of the installer, seemed fine until this morning. About the only other similar symtom I"ve had is a slight "ruff" feeling when coasting to a halt, seems rough at about 5 mph, stops at under or over that speed. Could a wheel bearing be failing? I hate to go back for a rebalance if there is something else to check..My dealer is going to think I'm obsessed with balance. As usual, any help greatly appreciated. Can A motor mount cause such vibration at a particular speed? I need help, both automotively and mentally!

Russellc

·
Banned
118 Posts
I really don't think it's the wheel bearing...if it is you'd be hearing a slight humming when you turn at speed...I do...:D

I'm pretty sure it's the balancing...

On my Mustang's I was obsessed with that...I would go back every two freaking weeks... It's really easy to upset the balance...
One pot hole and you're back to the shop again...:rolleyes:

Try not to drive on bumpy streets and also go over speed bumps really slow...spped bumps mess the balance up too...

Your motor mounts are fine...on my old "Stang 3 of them were broken...the only thing that happened is the engine wanted to jump out of the car when I blipped the throttle. It moved around so much it would hit the hood...when it was closed....LOL

BTW: Sorry about the referance to Mustangs and all, but before my sentra...it's all I've owned...:p

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
BAck on Topic...

Russellc said:
I recently intalled new tires and wheels. motagi mr-7 and mich. exaltos, and every thing seemed fine. this morning, I started getting a bad vibration @ around 80 mph or so. Is there something else I should check? car seemed fine last night at same speed.
Okay, since they are new wheels and tires, a couple things you could check on, not saying this is the solution... BUT you could check and see if you have hub centric rings installed along with your wheels. If you did, then you may want to see if all of them were installed. Another thing is check and see if all of your lug nuts are on securely. If the vibration came about when you touched the brake pedal, then you may have warped rotors. And if/when you get your wheels rebalanced, ask if you can watch them get balanced. When they are spinning the wheel on the balancer, look for excessive lateral movement of the rim tire combo itself. If there is excessive lateral movement then it could mean one of two things. 1) The person didn't use proper hubcentric cones to install the wheel onto the balancing machine thus making for a horrible, and inaccurate balance all together. 2) You could have a horrible wheel tire combo where the tire is out of round and should be replaced. Thats all that i can think of could be the problem at this point and time. I'll try to think of more later.

And for boost_boy and hagasan, PLEASE (in all sincerity) stop spilling arguments into other threads. It's pointless to argue over something so trivial, especially over the internet. Its starting to bring back memories of people arguing at the bars that i go to. If your going to keep on arguing.. Do it to it, but at least do the other members of this forum a favor and keep it in the original thread that it started in.

C

·
0 Posts
are you sure that the wheel weights are still on, and did a reputable shop do the work, or did joe in his back yard do it. they might not be balanced properly as most tire shops balance wheels at 15-20 mph at best.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Just delated all those stupid posts. If I see anymore crap like that the thread is going to be locked. Sorry Russellc that you had to read all that garbage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I probably should have mentioned that this noise seemed to begin after replacement of cv boots. I took it to the shop that did the work, and they listened, drove it, put it up on a rack and listed to the bearing with a sethescope ( spelling sorry) etc., and determinrd that I was hearing "tire noise".....mysteriously, noise seems to be gone for the most part, vibration has not reccurred, perhaps a stretch of wash board...these Kansas City streets really suck. I am begining to suspect the balance job, it was done by costco. They seemed to have nice equipment, but I did get into it with them because they flatly refused to install 15 50 205 size tires on the car because of liability puposes. I called to complain that this was bullshit, and some other guy said OK. Then I bought the 195's anyway! just like a customer.... These 195 look gigantic, and the car will not spin them for beans, but what cornering power. I'll have them rebalanced in case something went south with one of the weights.

Thanks again everyone
Russellc

C

·
0 Posts
i had the same problem

i tried to have sears put on some falkens for me, sized 195/60/14 and the would not do it. so after complaining to the manager, they did it. i dont know why they argue that, is it really that hard to put tires on a car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts