Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 200ZX and the first thing i want to do is get a good new sport muffler....anyone know of any particularly good ones i might not know of?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm actually pretty new to this whole scene and i wanted to get some more experienced opinions before i went out there and started looking

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i head that a HKS Universal mufflers are the bomb on the 200 and 280 ZX... i heard it on my friend 280 ZX sound crazy loud with stock piping.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
For the American market:
240Z
260Z
280Z
280ZX (some turbos)
300ZX (some turbos)
350Z

And:
200SX (L4 or V6, some turbos) mid-eighties, not a Sentra
B13 Sentra (some SE-Rs)
B14 200SX (some SE-Rs)
B15 200SX (some SEs, SE-Rs)
B15 Sentra (some SE-Rs, some Spec-V SE-Rs)

·
SIMPLICITY is the KEY
315 Posts
NeoDurden said:
i just bought a 200ZX and the first thing i want to do is get a good new sport muffler....anyone know of any particularly good ones i might not know of?
It all depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. If you just want a muffler for the looks then get a perforated universal aftermarket muffler. If you a "baller" and price don't apply then get the best...Stromung!

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
bahearn said:
For the American market:
240Z
260Z
280Z
280ZX (some turbos)
300ZX (some turbos)
350Z

And:
200SX (L4 or V6, some turbos) mid-eighties, not a Sentra
B13 Sentra (some SE-Rs)
B14 200SX (some SE-Rs)
B15 200SX (some SEs, SE-Rs)
B15 Sentra (some SE-Rs, some Spec-V SE-Rs)
you're right about the older 200sx, but there's no b15 200sx, right?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NeoDurden said:
I've got a Greddy on my 200ZX ;) SE-R... I'm very happy with it. It's only loud under WOT. I couldn't tell you quite how much just the exhaust made a difference with performance because I did all my mods at once but I'm very happy with the Greddy. The HKS is similar from what I've heard but it apparently rusts quicker (and that's a factor in the northeast!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had posted a while back on a very similar question, not that any of the answers were bad or anything I eventually decided to take a chance depsite what some had said (hey, that's what guarantees are for, right? hehe). Anyway, I did some personal research on various sites, I found that the avg gain with replacing the entire exhaust system stopping at the header typically gained no more than 1-2 hp and in most cases an unregisterable torque gain over replacing just the stock muffler unless you were running serious power adders such as nitrous and/or turbo where you could gain 10-20 depending. Since most cat-backs were ranging about 500ish US dollars and my biggest concerns were sound and look I took a chance on Stillen's (over HKS and Greddy's exhausts). Stillen offered just a muffler for $260, the tip looks almost identical to the 200's stock tip for a se-r with exception to it being much larger and protruding about an inch farther out than stock. When I received it I was thinking 'god, what is this going to sound like?'. I don't care for the 'rice rocket' sound that matches that of the typical Singer Sewing Machine honda's you normally hear. What I found was phenominal. It was insanely simple to install with exception to loosening the two bolts of course, if the car isn't lowered and your of small stature you can easily slide underneath without having to raise the car to install it and only took about 10 min with no extra work to get it to fit (or do it ghetto style and back the rear wheels to the edge of a curb, car on the top of the curb, not on the street, just make sure you put wheel stops in place so it doesn't roll at all). It has a very beautiful tone, it isn't even that loud at WOT but it can hum at about 2400 rpm's but above about 2600 rpm's you don't even notice the exhaust at all. There was no major hp gain with it installed, maybe about 1/3 of what I gained with the addition of putting the CAI in but it does seem to pull harder at the top of the rpm band than it did before. The thing that sucks about auditioning exhausts for cars is unless you're an editor for a car magazine or you have a lot of friends with the exact same car and mod's as you, it's really hard to try out multiple exausts so I can't say what in personal comparison is different about Stillen's over the others mentioned but I can say that I am happy with Stillen's atm and any reviews I've found on it have talked about it being pretty much rust proof. Anyway, enough rambling, my suggestion is if you're still not sure, get one with a guarantee that if you don't like, you get your money back, that way you pretty much can't go wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts