Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we neeed some help with a heating problem that is confusing :confused:. I'm trying to help my teenage friend with his altima and he does'nt have the cash to take it to a shop at this time. He told me a new radiator was put in this past summer. We changed the thermostat. We checked the heater core and the heater valve.
The car heats up to normal oparating temp. and after while the thermostat opens...What we notice is that the hose going to the heater core stay cold.
We even disconected the heater hose by the heater valve and there is no coolant flowing thru them, makes me think that maybe the water pump is not circulating the coolant the way is should (but then why would the car not over heat if the pump was bad?) Is there any electrical devise that is associated with this heating system. I don't know what else to try
Please advise...
Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is a valve in one of the heater lines (up near the firewall I think) that controls the coolant flow to the heater core. Make sure that valve is working (moving) when the temperature adjuster inside the car is moved from cold to hot and hot to cold settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue. Spray the valve cable connected to the heater core hose with some WD40 and force it back and forth so its loosens up the rust. I had to do this about once a week for 3 weeks before it was fully lubricated. Haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply guys.
I bypass the valve by adding a piece of pipe and still the heater hose was cold. That when I told my self " There's one way to find out why it's still cold" so with the engine running I disconnected the heater hose at the point that bypass the valve and therewas no coolant there. The hose was empty. That is wierd or what?
A friend suggested that we change the radiator cap, that it could be weak.
More advise are welcome, Thanks again..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.
I bypass the valve by adding a piece of pipe and still the heater hose was cold. That when I told my self " There's one way to find out why it's still cold" so with the engine running I disconnected the heater hose at the point that bypass the valve and therewas no coolant there. The hose was empty. That is wierd or what?
A friend suggested that we change the radiator cap, that it could be weak.
More advise are welcome, Thanks again..
Yes, that is a weird one. Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator when the engine is cold? Maybe the level is too low. It wouldn't hurt to get a new radiator cap ... I got one at NAPA that was decent quality and good price.

Or maybe the hose is completely blocked by something. I can't imagine there wouldn't be any water flow from the engine if it was full of coolant and the water pump was working ... which it must be or else it would overheat at some point.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Follow the hose from the heater valve on the firewall all the way back to where it connects to the main coolant hose on the passenger side. Also remove the engine coolant sensor to confirm the coolant pours out of the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts