Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Gang. Nice site here! I am a former '93 Pathy owner (still miss it). ANYWAY...I've been drivin' a Jeep Wrangler 4-banger for the last few years and I feel the need to switch to a truck. I can't really afford anything expensive but certainly want something durable..to be used mainly for home improvement projects,..hauling a bit o' stuff. and the occasional foray into the rugged outdoors. My fondness for my old Pathy led me to research old Hardbody pickups for sale in my area. As luck would have it, there are TWO 1994 King Cab models with fairly low mileage and in very good shape. Both are manual transmission and both are 4WD. One is an XE 4 cylinder and the other is an SE 6 cylinder. The price is nearly identical. Is there any reason to choose the 4 over the 6 (outside of perhaps a small gain in MPG)? My 6 cylinder Pathy died due to an unfortunate timing belt mishap. I understand that this is an issue with the older Nissan 6 cylinder engines (although obviously avoidable with regular maintenance). The 6 seems like the logical choice but I didn't know which model had the most "bullet proof" engine. I'm gonna try to test drive both but any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you live in a hilly area, the v-6 would be an asset, seeing how you are using it for hauling too. On flat land, like here in Columbus, I have had 9 square of shingles on my 4 cylinder 720, and it didn't hardly squat, or miss a beat.
You are allready aware to check the timing belt, so you are on top of that.
Good Luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Four cyl. would probably be the most bullettproof motor you could choose as long as you keep the oil changed and don't mind the early morning rattles that come with it. Its not real smooth or powerful but it will last forever. Good luck

·
3,553 Posts
4-cyl: 140 HP
V6: 153 HP

The V6 generally got bigger axles and a stronger transmission as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts