Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto, Canada and recently bought a '93 Sentra GXE.
The car's intention was originally for the winter months but I enjoy driving it. The motor's strong, body work's been done, just waiting for paint.

However, I was just quoted over 1G for (1) headlight bulb, (1) drivers front wheel bearing, (1) passenger side ball joint and inner tie-rod, as well as the front sway bar bushings. Things I have accepted that also need replacing are the rear shocks and the rear power window switches(no biggie right now).

My temp permit runs out this comming wednesday and I don't want to spend $1,000 on a $1,000 car, at this moment anyways. I will replace these parts in the near future but was hoping to do it on my own time, in the driveway, in the spring :)

If there's a Toronto resident that has a suggestion as to a shop that might see me and send me away happy with a cert, that would be very much appreciated. Or if there are any suggestions as to in-stock parts available other than e-bay...only because of the time crisis, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto, Canada and recently bought a '93 Sentra GXE.
The car's intention was originally for the winter months but I enjoy driving it. The motor's strong, body work's been done, just waiting for paint.

However, I was just quoted over 1G for (1) headlight bulb, (1) drivers front wheel bearing, (1) passenger side ball joint and inner tie-rod, as well as the front sway bar bushings. Things I have accepted that also need replacing are the rear shocks and the rear power window switches(no biggie right now).

My temp permit runs out this comming wednesday and I don't want to spend $1,000 on a $1,000 car, at this moment anyways. I will replace these parts in the near future but was hoping to do it on my own time, in the driveway, in the spring :)

If there's a Toronto resident that has a suggestion as to a shop that might see me and send me away happy with a cert, that would be very much appreciated. Or if there are any suggestions as to in-stock parts available other than e-bay...only because of the time crisis, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Chris - I am in the US and I usually use rock auto for my "cheap parts". I'd stay away from ebay parts unless you have a keen eye for spotting bad parts. Plus you can usually get better deals from wholesale direct auto parts stores.

This is the unfortunate truth about cheap cars: it sometimes costs as much to maintain them as it does to have a newer car. There are some more reliable cars like yours that still need parts every now and then because their maintenance is neglected. If you attempt to do the repairs yourself watch as many youtube videos as you can to understand what you are doing before starting. Swap bar bushings are easy, headlight bulb is easy, the wheel bearing will be near impossible if you don't have a press (you can always buy a full hub assembly with new bearings already pressed in which makes it easy), ball joint will be easy if you get a loaner ball joint install kit from your local auto parts store, shocks are probably the easiest to replace out of all of this, the inner tie rod is easy but you will 1000000% need an alignment after. You need to be incredibly detail orientated to do this part, it is simple to do but the position of the tie rod (how many turns on it is) is critical. Mark the threads with a paint pen and bring the new tie rod to the exact same spot

There is a lot that needs to be done to your car - in all honesty $1000 is not a bad deal. If it were me I'd do it myself, if I had no idea how to do this stuff and need this car every day that shop is giving you fair pricing and there is a chance if you mess it up it will be more expensive than having them do it.

Nick
AM2 Racing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts