Nissan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking at Shesbh's pictures of the sound insulation in his doors....

I did this to our Pathfinder and our car, but only put scraps on the inside of the outer panels. I figured that would be sufficient to dampen the panels from resonating, but probably more would be even better.

I also left the access holes open, knowing they must be there for a reason, and knowing this would limit the effectiveness of the insulation. But since then I've decided if I do this again, I'd cover the holes. The reason being that I could always cut them open if needed, and they don't serve any other purpose normally. I see that in tuner cars, the kids always cover the holes.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Re insulation

There was a member on this forum... not an X-Trail member who noticed my images and told me that the proper method to install was to cover all the openings... so after placing a layer on the inside of the outside panel, a layer on the inside panelas you can see in the picture.. I loved the difference in sound...

Then came his suggestion.. and I contacted my manufacturer (secondskinaudio.com) to ask him as well, so off came all the door panels and the rear hatch panel and I proceeded to cover all the open holes. I also used Aluminum tape to seal all the seams for a clean install.

What a difference it made not only in sound but in the fealing of airconditioner in Summer and heating in Winter.. As I was speaking to Roger on the phone yesterdat about this... Nissan Airconditioners are lousy.. my Altima was lousy...and so is the X-Trail... they are not as strong as other manufacturers.... BUT they do work...!!!! With the insulation the car gets and stays cooler faster and longer.. as for Winter.... I keep my car at the bottom which is 18 even in deep freeze since it is hot in the car very fast and stays warmer...

For sound and my Infinity Kappas... wow... I just love the system and the only road noise I hear now is the Damn Sunroof Reflector... but heck that's life!

Stephen

X-Traction said:
Looking at Shesbh's pictures of the sound insulation in his doors....

I did this to our Pathfinder and our car, but only put scraps on the inside of the outer panels. I figured that would be sufficient to dampen the panels from resonating, but probably more would be even better.

I also left the access holes open, knowing they must be there for a reason, and knowing this would limit the effectiveness of the insulation. But since then I've decided if I do this again, I'd cover the holes. The reason being that I could always cut them open if needed, and they don't serve any other purpose normally. I see that in tuner cars, the kids always cover the holes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I might take this chance to jump on the 'Noisy X-trail' bandwagon.

Recently my exee has developed a 'rattle', on the side of the engine bay near the belts. (my drivers side) I did the trusty thing and sprayed some WD40 onto the various pulleys, with it 'apearing' to stop when I got to the auto tensioner pulley. But after 1 day, it was back. I sat there and watched this tensioner pulley and its movement appeared to correspond with the rattle ?? Should this pulley move or not.

It does appear worse when the a/c is turned on and just when the a/c fans start, so does the rattle. i have disconnected each fan, but the nosie continues.

The noise is similar to a light metal on metal rattle.

I intend telling Nissan about it at my 30,000km service, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does Your dashboard rattle & squeak??

I currently drive a 2005 Fat Face X-T DCi 2.2

One thing is driving me nuts - the dashboard centre console rattles and squeaks like mad around the speedo area. Has anyone else had this problem? Also offside speaker housing on front rattles also. Any possible solutions please.
Previously owned a 2004 model with no squeaks!?

·
Registered
82 Posts
HEY, First time post been veiwing forum for a while, dealer manager told me to come here so i stop harassing him in order to solve my problems, have had a 01 xtrail se+ 2.0l for 8 months.

In car noises have to be my pet hate, had a look thru and i can't see the ones that plague my x-trail journeys. Can anyone offer any advice for the following 'sounds' that drive me mad, i have been back to the dealership several times, they either can't find the problem, or make them worse.

1) sunroof rattle, wasn't so bad, then i asked dealership to take a look, and since then.....****, drives me mad, been back, gets even worse, they keep saying they've tightens some screws to fix it, do these screws exist! can i 'tghten' them myself? car does'nt look so good with tissues shoved in the sunroof!

2) If i use the climate control at some point(usually after a sharp turn) it makes an awful noise, sounds like a fan is catching something, again they never hear the noise so can never fix it (there best try was changing the pollen filter???) an austrian nissan employee did here it, but didn't have time to do it whilst i was there and due to my poor german i could only make out that it was something to do with something behind the glovebox.

3) a scraping noise when i reverse or am at biting point on a hill, sounds like it comes from the rear right wheel, family can here it from in the house sometimes, usually hapens wen it cold and wet, have spent hours driving with nissan mechanics to try and simulate the noise with no luck.

If anyone can help with any of these then i will replace the noises with the sound of me singing ur praises!

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is also in the 100,000km thread, but there is a Canadian tech bulletin issued at the end of September, some vehicles are missing felt padding where 3 guide pins attatch the dash to the firewall. I thought all the plastic panels on top of the dash were squeaking together, but that wasn't it. Kudos to my dealer, they knew about it and they nailed it on the first try. Had to leave the car overnight, entire dashboard has to be removed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
problem noises

HEY, First time post been veiwing forum for a while, dealer manager told me to come here so i stop harassing him in order to solve my problems, have had a 01 xtrail se+ 2.0l for 8 months. Tried asking these questions on another xtrail thread, but had no luck so i'm hoping that if i give it more publicity someone may be able to help me.

In car noises have to be my pet hate, had a look thru and i can't see the ones that plague my x-trail journeys. Can anyone offer any advice for the following 'sounds' that drive me mad, i have been back to the dealership several times, they either can't find the problem, or make them worse.

1) sunroof rattle, wasn't so bad, then i asked dealership to take a look, and since then.....****, drives me mad, been back, gets even worse, they keep saying they've tightens some screws to fix it, do these screws exist! can i 'tghten' them myself? car does'nt look so good with tissues shoved in the sunroof!

2) If i use the climate control at some point(usually after a sharp turn) it makes an awful noise, sounds like a fan is catching something, again they never hear the noise so can never fix it (there best try was changing the pollen filter???) an austrian nissan employee did hear it, but didn't have time to do it whilst i was there and due to my poor german i could only make out that it was something to do with something behind the glovebox. If i usually have to turn it off, if i leave it be it gets worse and sometimes starts to make a bit of a burning smell.

3) a scraping noise when i reverse or am at biting point on a hill, sounds like it comes from the rear right wheel, family can here it from in the house sometimes, usually hapens wen it cold and wet, have spent hours driving with nissan mechanics to try and simulate the noise with no luck.

If anyone can help with any of these then i will replace the noises with the sound of me singing ur praises!

Also, living in a area with a reasonable climate i only have to, at worst, scrape ice off windows in the morning during winter months, but i may be moving to an area with much worse climate, snow, high altitude, freezing, will there be anything anyone things worth doing to make the life of my xtrail easier whilst staying here? cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm one "lucky" dude....(help needed actually, please come in)

ok..after two times to the dealership, my dash board rattle finally got fixed. *knock on wood* at least for now...here is the exact wording from the report, which MAY help some of you here if you encounter the same problem.

3307 Noise from Dash over bumps, lack of insulation war took for roadtest, heard noice from dash removed dash and all trim compnoents insulated the dash pins and the pin seats Reinstalled dash and trim components took for roadtest with shop foreman noise is now gone.

HERE comes ANOTHER noise problem after fixing the dash rattle, Clunking noise keeps comming out from the B-Pillar area when i close doors, drive over bumps or even when im IDLING !!!!! :mad:
I thoought it has something to do with the windows, but turned out i was wrong. My gf suggested it was the Sunroof, so i opened it (tilt), closed it, the sounds was GONE. - - > for a while. Then it came back out, then idid the same thing, noise gone. Cycle repeats.
Now i knowfor sure, the Sunroof rattle problem has struck me. Goshh is my x-trail problematic. Horrible fit and finish.

So my question is..is there anyone out there who can help me with this sunroof rattle problem ? Can it be fixed ? if so, how ? I aint doing it myself unless its like 1+1 easy...I bought the car fair and square and im gonna let my dealer do the work. But at least when i deal with them, i dont sound like another ignorant customer.

thanks a million.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When i bought my 05 X-Trail LE in March 05, the passenger side dash rattle started within the first week of ownership. It would go away once the vehicle was warmed up and once spring time came and warmer weather started, the noise never came back, UNTIL FALL. Then every cold morning, tick tick tick. It would go away once the vehicle was warmed up, but the colder it was outside, the longer it took for the noise to disappear. Well, now that the weather has gotten cold here again, the noise was back and getting worse, and never goes away. I brought it in for it's 48k service (trans flush, coolant flush, diff oil change) and had the shop foreman go for a roadtest. I didn't even have to drive off the dealer lot and he heard it plan as day.

The wife picked it up yesterday and the fawkers had the gull to charge me $3.65 for some foam to fix the problem!! At first i laughed, but then i thought... are they on crack? Charging me for foam to fix a defect in their vehicle? Hmmmm... kudo's Nissan, your a class act!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My sunroof rattles too. At the back passenger-side. Open or closed it doesn't matter. The guys at my Nissan dealership claim they spent about 2 hrs tightening everything they could, but it still rattles. This rattle of course just happened after the warranty had run out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2003 2.2 diesel sport and have had it for 2 years with little or no problems. However in the last couple of month I have noticed a hell of a lot of thick balck smoke coming from the exhaust when I accelerate, it embarrassing to be honest. Can someone tell me what would be the possible cause or is this just normal? I would like to get some advice here before I spend a lot of money bringing it in for a service, by the way it was only serviced 2 months ago and the issue started happening shortly after that.
Thanks in advance for any assistance given,

Regards,

Eric

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank god I found this thread. I bought my Xtrail in May and the dash started making noise at the driver side & then the passenger side when the weather got colder in the fall. Going to try EJM's foam technique.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fellow X-Trailers,

In my T30 2007 2.5 GX model I have a strange noise from the engine bay when I am on a rough road surface, e.g. cobblestones. It appears to come from the engine bay - a dull clopping noise, really just like a horse's hooves, that does not seem to come from the engine itself and has a rythmn that is fast and out of sync with the suspension movement, although, obviously, bad road surfaces bring it on. It seems to be something loose, swinging like a pendulum, but I can't see anything. I also don't suspect the engine mounts, as, on silky smooth tarmac, I can jerkily accelerate and decelerate without causing the noise. I'd be very grateful for any ideas on this mystery.
Cheers,
BRIAN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fellow X-Trailers,

In my T30 2007 2.5 GX model I have a strange noise from the engine bay when I am on a rough road surface, e.g. cobblestones. It appears to come from the engine bay - a dull clopping noise, really just like a horse's hooves, that does not seem to come from the engine itself and has a rythmn that is fast and out of sync with the suspension movement, although, obviously, bad road surfaces bring it on. It seems to be something loose, swinging like a pendulum, but I can't see anything. I also don't suspect the engine mounts, as, on silky smooth tarmac, I can jerkily accelerate and decelerate without causing the noise. I'd be very grateful for any ideas on this mystery.
Cheers,
BRIAN
Several noises from my T30, 2006 editon.
Most of the noises are coming from the heat shields located on the exhaust line.
ther eis one in the engine bay, another up front directly under the engine and the a couple under the truck.
some I have removed, others I have solidified using clamps (same one you find to attach the air vent of a dryer).
Lately, another rattling noise coming from the muffler where one of the hooks has broken.

Oh, not to mention the sun roof track. Even after a complete change of the tracks after 16 months they started rattling again.... thank god this work was done under a recall.

hope this helps.
Joel..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Jovig,

Very many thanks for your prompt reply with good pointers as to what I should check to trace the mysterious clop-clopping noise. I had been wondering if I would have to mount a GoPro cam inside the engine bay in different positions to spot this.

OTHER NOISES
1) My cabin air blower, as it had never had a filter, once had a cardboard-on-bike-spoke noise, due to a leaf stalk/vein that had managed to get past the outside air inlet holes. It went away on its own, but had at first scared me into thinking it was the camshaft chain. Before installing a filter, I'll back-blow the air system via one of the A/C outlets on the dash to see if I can dislodge any stuff accumulated over its 8-year lifespan, particularly from the internal A/C unit (like a little fine-mesh radiator - ideal for collecting dust +all sorts of foreign bodies).
2) My sunroof doesn't rattle (at least, not yet), but the sliding opaque panel keeps edging back when I come home up my 3-in-1 cobblestoned access road, which is not surprising given that there seems to be no latch or lock.
3) Inside the rear, if I don't carry any substantial load, the stiff springing shakes everything that's not battoned down or held with elastic grips.
4) Outside the rear, I found that the reg. plate was rattling (here in Brazil 2 of the 4 screws are used), so I put bigger washers around the 2 screws to prevent metal tear, tightened well and stuck on 2 little rubber squares about 3mm thick to take up the space between the door and the plate.
5) Another rattler was a removable plastic plate in the middle of the rear bumper, so I put an adhesive rubber strip over the whole bumper.
6) Rear door rattle can presumably be solved by adjustment.
7) My dash has a slight vibration at low revs, but it's not bad enough to disassemble and investigate.
I hope this will help you and our fellow Xyers.
Cheers,
BRIAN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Brian,

No need for a Go Pro, simply open the hood and try to shake the shields by hand. Make sure engine is cold.
Next, crawl under the front and do the same with the other shields.
If they move by hand, this is a cause for noise.

Next, I forgot to mention that you may have a used/loose link/stabilizer bar and/or loose ball joint.
To check, jack the front of the truck so both wheels are not touching the ground.
Place one hand on the tire at 12 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock.
Push at 12 and pull at 6, then do the opposite.
If the wheel moves, it is an indication that the link is loose.
As for the ball joint, it cannot be changed, you need to replace the entire table.
Easy to do but the bolts can be hard to remove, you will need a good impact gun.
To check the ball joint, you will need to make a search as I do not remember how I checked it.
Changing the links requires you to get front wheels alignment.
I had to change both links and doing so have taken the opportunity to change both tables as well and pay only once for the alignement.

Hope this helps and thanks for the tips.
Joel.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Hi Guys, just to correct some mistaken information-- you do not need an alignment after replacing sway bar end links. Nor do you really need one after replacing the control arms. Other than the tie rod ends which adjust toe in and out,there is not a whole lot of adjustments that are possible, as the geometry of it all is pretty fixed. Now granted bad control arm ball joints or even a bad end link will affect your steering, but what throws it off is the broken or worn part. Replacing it with a good one returns things to the way they were supposed to be. Unless something feels off after the repair, I would not rush to have an alignment done. And word to the wise, not every place can do an alignment on the X trail as some do not have the equipment to reset the steering to center.
In my opinion the odd clunking could also be linked to a bad strut mount, and the springs should be examined carefully as some do break.
Last thought there is a heat shield over the muffler that is held in place by four bolts. Any of these can rust and you will then have corner or two primed to vibrate and to even hit the muffler when going over a bump. Just get your hand on it and see if there is any movement. If so do the same thing you did for your license plate, and get a couple of big washers that you can use to secure the spot were the bolt is no longer securing anything.
Not sure why Jovig is calling the control arms the entire table, but if you are still running the original ones, odds are the ball joint is quite worn and the rubber bushings have seen better days. You will be most impressed by how tight the steering feels if you replace them.
Last note re heat shields-- sadly you cannot buy replacements-- but I just had some success using metal duct tape to cover the rot of the front one at the bottom. Applied 3 layers to the affected section and yeah its not making noise when I reverse anymore. Also used it to cover holes in shield section under the car, that like Jovic I used wire clamps on the ends to stop vibration. Not sure how long it will last as a repair, but its cheap and is holding after two weeks

41 - 60 of 67 Posts