21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
X Trail Rattle

ecrase2500 said:
:thumbup:

That did the trick!

I varied the technique a bit by peeling the stickiness right off of the self-adhesive foam I had. It's basically a piece of double-sided tape that peels off pretty cleanly. I wedged a strip in between the dash and windshield at the problem area. I didn't go all the way across- I just went from the A-pillar joint to the heating duct. The foam I have is black, and stuffs in so far you can hardly see it.

I also got around to fixing the glovebox rattle with the same foam stuff.

But it worked. This morning, I had my first flick and rattle free drive to work in two months.

There's still the HVAC fan Hissssss, and the squeaking cargo floor, but these weren't driving me quite as insane.

Thank you so much! I'm starting to love my X-Trail again. :)
Good (in a way) to hear that someone has exactly the same problem i do. Ive had my X Trail around 4 weeks and have had the exact same problem you describe since the day after purchase. My X Trail is with the dealers right now - for the 3rd time! I just popped in to let him know the suggested cure for under the tweeter cover whatever that is but if that doesnt do it i'll try the "foam wedge" fix described so well here.

Thanks for the posts it made good reading.

I like my X Trail but it is unacceptable to have rattles in a car which is ment to be good quality and cost me £19000.

Bye

·
Registered
36 Posts
rattling noise

Well, first attempt to fix rattling noise by dealer - failed :balls: :crazy:
I guess I have to try few more times :crazy: maybe try another dealer .. hehe..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rattling X Trail

wal said:
Well, first attempt to fix rattling noise by dealer - failed :balls: :crazy:
I guess I have to try few more times :crazy: maybe try another dealer .. hehe..

I had the rattle described by ecrase2500 at start of this thread (the flick flick fkick one) and has since mamanged to fix it myself with a piece of foam from the end of a kitchen mop of all things - wedged between dash and windscreen from passenger A post to start of windscreen vent.

In my experience dealers are absolutely shit and this sort of thing and dont give a toss.

The dealer tried to fix my rattle 4 times and like i said in ended up fixing it myself

Harry

·
Registered
36 Posts
HarryXT said:
I had the rattle described by ecrase2500 at start of this thread (the flick flick fkick one) and has since mamanged to fix it myself with a piece of foam from the end of a kitchen mop of all things - wedged between dash and windscreen from passenger A post to start of windscreen vent.

In my experience dealers are absolutely shit and this sort of thing and dont give a toss.

The dealer tried to fix my rattle 4 times and like i said in ended up fixing it myself

Harry

Hehe... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
plastic rubbing sound coming from the right (passenger) side

Hey Guys.
Is there anyone here, whose plastic rubbing sound (rattle noise) has been fixed by dealer. :topic: And if there is one, can U guys give me dealer info that can be reached by my dealer so they can learn how to fix this freacking hating noise :banhump:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've solved the plasting "cracking" noise on my X-Trail's dash. I hope this solution works for others...

My Problem:
The noise was coming from the driver side speaker cover area on the dash and was driving me insane. I was worried about trying to remove the cover section piece after reading how others had broken the tabs trying to remove it themselves.

My Solution:
The speaker cover is located on the left side of the dash, directly in front of the driver side cup holder and it is covered in a dark grey fabric. The cover slides somewhat if you push it forward and pull it back...

1. If you pull it back using your fingertips so the piece arches a little in the center you'll get a slight space between where the cover's front side meets the dash.
2. Slide in a piece of foam tape (or other object, thick enough that the speaker cover piece no longer slides forward and back) in the gap at the front of the cover piece where it meets the dash.
3. It might take an attempt or two because of the proximity of the front windshield and the limited space you have.

At first I used an old parking garage ticket folded upon itself to wedge into the gap. This solved it. Black foam tape will probably work (and look better), but you'll need a thicker piece and it might be harder to wedge a piece in the gap. Wedge a decent thickness in there so the cover almost bends upward in the center.

I haven't had a "cracking" sound since. :)

GCC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Noisy X-Trail

Soo.. nobody complane aboout noise anymore? :asleep: he he

The plasting "cracking" noise on my X-Trail's dash - still here :thumbdwn:
Last time, one month ago the dealer at Nissan Morrey has tried to fix it by replacing a:
VB14AA RPL one front pillar garnish.. or something
The noise comes on the next day.. I give up (put it on hold)
But every morning the noise brings me to the edge of mental breakedown :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: he he...

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Nah, the noise is still here as well, but I've learnt to live with it, so I either pump-up the volume of my stereo or get the kids to fight at the back :) muffles all kinds of noises when they do that LOL

wal said:

Last time, one month ago the dealer at Nissan Morrey has tried to fix it by replacing a:
But every morning the noise brings me to the edge of mental breakedown :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: he he...

·
Registered
39 Posts
GoldenCupChamp said:
I've solved the plasting "cracking" noise on my X-Trail's dash. I hope this solution works for others...

My Problem:
The noise was coming from the driver side speaker cover area on the dash and was driving me insane. I was worried about trying to remove the cover section piece after reading how others had broken the tabs trying to remove it themselves.

My Solution:
The speaker cover is located on the left side of the dash, directly in front of the driver side cup holder and it is covered in a dark grey fabric. The cover slides somewhat if you push it forward and pull it back...

1. If you pull it back using your fingertips so the piece arches a little in the center you'll get a slight space between where the cover's front side meets the dash.
2. Slide in a piece of foam tape (or other object, thick enough that the speaker cover piece no longer slides forward and back) in the gap at the front of the cover piece where it meets the dash.
3. It might take an attempt or two because of the proximity of the front windshield and the limited space you have.

At first I used an old parking garage ticket folded upon itself to wedge into the gap. This solved it. Black foam tape will probably work (and look better), but you'll need a thicker piece and it might be harder to wedge a piece in the gap. Wedge a decent thickness in there so the cover almost bends upward in the center.

I haven't had a "cracking" sound since. :)

GCC

Well Golden Cup, I'm going to give that a try. My crackle is on the passenger side, but what I've noticed is that when the weather is warmer, it doesn't crackle...still, needs to be fixed, because it too, drives me nuts....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also had a 20 lb bag of sand that I bought and put in the back for the drive home. As I was driving home, the sound of the back floor panel, moving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, over and over and over again, because of the weight of the sand moving the panel, resulted in my pulling over, and moving the sand from the back to the floor behind the front seat....now, isn't that what cargo areas are for????? I'm beginning to think that Nissan is about 1 cm off on a few things...waiting for the weather to warm up, to check that one out...sigh...for us noise sensitive people, this is a big deal...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
wal said:

Wal, did you try the foam fix first described by EJM above? I showed it to my dealer hoping he could do better, but he didn't want to attempt it. "You fixed it good," he said.

Sometime later, the cracking came back for a while, and I suspect it's because the foam became too stiff to do its job of holding the front edge of the dash down. I replaced the foam strip with fresh stuff (and this time went all the way across the dash for appearances' sake). That made it go quiet once more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
Wal, did you try the foam fix first described by EJM above? I showed it to my dealer hoping he could do better, but he didn't want to attempt it. "You fixed it good," he said.

Sometime later, the cracking came back for a while, and I suspect it's because the foam became too stiff to do its job of holding the front edge of the dash down. I replaced the foam strip with fresh stuff (and this time went all the way across the dash for appearances' sake). That made it go quiet once more.
No, :rolleyes: I was afraid to brake something.. I always do :rolleyes:
But thanks for remaining, I guess eventually I have to do it by my own

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Second Skin Audio Damplifier

Well I went nuts this weekend again....Valboo (Marc) and I noticed last year after our initial install, that the X-Trail under the rear seats have exposed metal with some sound dampening material...but not much... Well we purchased more last year but I only got together with Marc last Friday to split the package of Damplifier.

So I lifted the seats and went nuts again. It is not completely coated and Just this alone has made a huge difference in road noise!! Now I have again more bass in my system. When I have more time... I am going to strip all of the carpeting in the floor and do this as well.

Now that I have the ESM the one place I realy want to do is the rear inside of the wheels. I am going to remove the coverings and do this area as well.

This investment of money for the Damplifier and my time and yes more blood and blisters from the install.. is worth it.

I also received my Amp which along with my HD Tuner, Ipod Adapter have to still be installed...sigh.. I wish I had more time.

Stephen

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a vibration sound coming from what sounded like the middle of the dash where it meets the front windshield. It sounded like the windshield wasn't seated properly and was vibrating against the dash, or maybe the glass shield over the instruments was loose. The sound was bad when I was accellerating or at moderate speed on rougher pavement.

I had my passenger press down along the dash along the windshield while we were driving to see if we could eliminate the vibration, but it didn't help.

However, when I was adjusting my rear view mirror yesterday, the sound went away.

It turned out that the plastic piece (square flat piece) that holds the rear view mirror onto the roof of the car was not "clipped" or "seated" into place (it looked seated, but wasn't). All I had to do was push up on it to secure it. It "clicked" into place. Problem solved!

·
715 Posts
Second Skin Audio Damplifier Install

Here are my images for my install which is applied to all my doors as well as many other areas in my X-Trail. For the doors I applied two layers.. one on the inside outer panel and the second on the inside inner panel.

Stephen

·
715 Posts
Folow up

Well it has been a while since anyone has posted here... BUT I thought I would bring up an interesting point that I mentioned to Valboo yesterday. Remember that famous dash squeek some of us had when it was cold outside... I did nothing about it and well this winter the X-Trail is quiet.... not a peep.... guess it was growing pains! LOL

hehehehe

Stephen

·
Registered
36 Posts
SCHESBH said:
Well it has been a while since anyone has posted here... BUT I thought I would bring up an interesting point that I mentioned to Valboo yesterday. Remember that famous dash squeek some of us had when it was cold outside... I did nothing about it and well this winter the X-Trail is quiet.... not a peep.... guess it was growing pains! LOL

hehehehe

Stephen
Well I still have it, maybe less annoing or less squeeky

21 - 40 of 67 Posts