Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a noisy, rattly X-Trail.

It makes me forget all of the things I liked about my X-Trail when I bought it, and I'm starting to hate this vehicle.

1. I have a loud plastic rubbing sound coming from the right (passenger) side of my X-Trail's dash.

To simulate the noise, take your thumbnail and flick the edge of your computer monitor. Now, do it over and over and over and over and over and over and... well, you get the point.

It happens every time I hit a sharpish bump in the road. I had posted a message a while back indicating I thought I had pinpointed the cause as being the tweeter grille. After removing it and driving for a short while, it seemed to be quiet.

But then it came back. I had a friend take the wheel of my X-Trail so I could sit in the passenger seat and feel the various dash pieces move around as we drove. It now seemed to be coming from where the A-pillar trim piece meets the dash. I could feel quite a bit of movement in there, and when I held the pieces apart, it was quiet. But you never really know, unless you're driving over a course where you know where each bump is. Maybe we happened to be on a smoother stretch of road.

I bought a tube of lithium grease and lubed the joint, but to no avail.

My repeated attempts to fix the rattle myself eventually broke the clips on the tweeter grille, so I gave up and brought it in to the dealer.

The service manager took me on the test drive, and wouldn't you know it, the stupid thing quieted right down. Silent as a freakin' S-Class Mercedes. Just when we were returning to the dealership, it started to do it again, but just a bit.

"AHA!" I said, "Do you hear that?"

He did, thank goodness.

Anyway, they took it in to put the new grille on and tried to fix the rattle. I think they glued in some foam. Their fix seemed to work, at least for the first 3km or so. Then it started up again, louder than ever. It's worst in the cold, but it's always there.

Flick. Flick. Flick.

It's driving me nuts.

2. The blower motor whistles loudly when the vehicle is cold.
Not extreme cold, just Toronto cold. It goes back to sounding normal when the vehicle's warm, but by then my 7km commute is over.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssss

3. The glove box rattles.

No, not the contents, the box itself rattles. In this case, it's only when it's cold, but lately that's every day. I think I can fix this with some foam myself.

Clicketyclicketyclicketyclick.

4. The cargo floor squeaks.

This is mostly audible when it's cold. My plan is to buy a cargo liner to keep the floor still and hopefully muffle any noise.

eeee eee ieee eeee eee

Am I the only one with such a poorly-built X-Trail? Was it "Free Sapporo Friday" :cheers: at the Kyushu plant when mine was built? Has anyone else had such noises that were successfully repaired?

I hope I won't have to prematurely sell my X-Trail to keep from going insane. :crazy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
Hi all,

I have a noisy, rattly X-Trail.

It makes me forget all of the things I liked about my X-Trail when I bought it, and I'm starting to hate this vehicle.

1. I have a loud plastic rubbing sound coming from the right (passenger) side of my X-Trail's dash.

To simulate the noise, take your thumbnail and flick the edge of your computer monitor. Now, do it over and over and over and over and over and over and... well, you get the point.

It happens every time I hit a sharpish bump in the road. I had posted a message a while back indicating I thought I had pinpointed the cause as being the tweeter grille. After removing it and driving for a short while, it seemed to be quiet.

But then it came back. I had a friend take the wheel of my X-Trail so I could sit in the passenger seat and feel the various dash pieces move around as we drove. It now seemed to be coming from where the A-pillar trim piece meets the dash. I could feel quite a bit of movement in there, and when I held the pieces apart, it was quiet. But you never really know, unless you're driving over a course where you know where each bump is. Maybe we happened to be on a smoother stretch of road.

I bought a tube of lithium grease and lubed the joint, but to no avail.

My repeated attempts to fix the rattle myself eventually broke the clips on the tweeter grille, so I gave up and brought it in to the dealer.

The service manager took me on the test drive, and wouldn't you know it, the stupid thing quieted right down. Silent as a freakin' S-Class Mercedes. Just when we were returning to the dealership, it started to do it again, but just a bit.

"AHA!" I said, "Do you hear that?"

He did, thank goodness.

Anyway, they took it in to put the new grille on and tried to fix the rattle. I think they glued in some foam. Their fix seemed to work, at least for the first 3km or so. Then it started up again, louder than ever. It's worst in the cold, but it's always there.

Flick. Flick. Flick.

It's driving me nuts.

2. The blower motor whistles loudly when the vehicle is cold.
Not extreme cold, just Toronto cold. It goes back to sounding normal when the vehicle's warm, but by then my 7km commute is over.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssss

3. The glove box rattles.

No, not the contents, the box itself rattles. In this case, it's only when it's cold, but lately that's every day. I think I can fix this with some foam myself.

Clicketyclicketyclicketyclick.

4. The cargo floor squeaks.

This is mostly audible when it's cold. My plan is to buy a cargo liner to keep the floor still and hopefully muffle any noise.

eeee eee ieee eeee eee

Am I the only one with such a poorly-built X-Trail? Was it "Free Sapporo Friday" :cheers: at the Kyushu plant when mine was built? Has anyone else had such noises that were successfully repaired?

I hope I won't have to prematurely sell my X-Trail to keep from going insane. :crazy:

No, U not the only one :waving:

Here is the history of this (rattling noise) I copied from this forum in hope to show this to the dealer

voila:

Also I have been getting this annoying rattle from the center dash anyone else having rattle from panels?

ValBoo. mont

As for the annoying rattle: I will be going to Metro Nissan this week for my 6000 KM inspection and will ask them to have a look at this center panel, (see, the thing is, the rattle is getting worse and it does not go away when the car warms up)
Montrealer

Rattle; I have problem "not that bad," it goes away when the cabin is in normal temp....
Toronto

Yaa.. I have annoying rattle from the center dash.. actually in my case it looks like airbag compartment, passenger side. I've removed all stuff from all compartments that may coz that rattle and nothing helps .. really annoying

Wal, Vanc

Hi Guys,

I noticed this rattle after I've driven off-road for a couple of times and yes it's coming from near the passenger side airbag compartment.

I have isolated the rattle to be in the passenger side tweeter compartment just under the cloth grill.

There is a plastic air tube (I think it's the windscreen defrost) that was banging against the plastic base, so I stuck in there a small piece of rubber and the rattle was gone.

I will mention this to Nissan at my next service, so they can fix it permanently.

Sydney Aussie

I'm experiencing both a hiss from the ventilation system from that area, and a knocking/clicking/rubbing sound. Driving with the tweeter cover removed silenced the knocking/clicking/rubbing, so I'll be talking to my dealer (again) now that I've located the problem, and confirmed it thanks to your message.

It's been driving me nuts.
No location Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I'm glad you have isolated the problem. It drove me nuts as well and kept mentioning it to my wife all the way through our off-road trip and was stopping many times trying to find where the hell it was coming from
Aussie

Hi Al and welcome to this forum.

You could remove the cloth grill yourself, it's easy to remove (well, sort of easy) just lift the front part of it which is facing you at the edge of the dash and pull towards you. Put a small piece of rubber or something soft and see if the rattle goes away, if it does, mention it to your dealer

Aussie

And of coz if go to dealer to complain about this rattle, there will be no freaking noise at that time hehe.. aah...

we have to do something with this :banhump:

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Hi there ecrase2500,

I like your sound animations and I couldn't have described it better myself :)

I can relate to all of the rattles you're having and I was successful in isolating some of them:

1. The passenger side rattle happens not because of the tweeter grille, but from the plastic air-tube, which is located under the grille rubbing on a plastic base. Since I have jammed the damn thing with a piece of foam, it went away.

2. The hiss of the air-con fan is normal and is more evident when I turn-on my heating fan (it doesn't do it when you have the setting set on cold air output) I have checked about 10 xtrails and they all have this hissing sound. So I just left it at that.

3. No glove box rattles here, try to tighten the screws. It could be the plastic guard under the glove box (just above passengers foot space) that has a broken clip. I've seen one being replaced by the dealer and a guy was complaining about the rattly noise coming from there.

4. No cargo floor squeaks here either. But I have the cargo carpet on mine.

I think most of the squeaks you're hearing are caused by the plastic expanding or shrinking in the cold weather conditions that you have over there in Canada. The whole internal structure of the plastic internal parts of the xtrail is less than practical.

My latest solution involved adding MORE rattly bits to the inside of the car (like a mobile phone holder..etc) and now when anything rattles, I just blame the shitty mobile phone holder :)

So, the sound animation that I can best describe when driving is:

Click, clack, clap and snap and every other noise you can think of. I just learnt to ignore them all. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aussietrail said:
1. The passenger side rattle happens not because of the tweeter grille, but from the plastic air-tube, which is located under the grille rubbing on a plastic base. Since I have jammed the damn thing with a piece of foam, it went away.
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Aussietrail, yours was one of the posts I had read while I was fiddling around under the speaker grille, and I tried foam in a couple of different places. One was around the part of the speaker grille that has the vent for the duct. I wrapped it with thicker adhesive foam to make it seal better than the flimsy foam already there. I thought this might help the hissing too, but it didn't. I also tried a piece of foam under the plastic duct itself, where it seemed to sit. I had no luck in silencing the noise, but I'm glad I ruled that out - I might not have thought of it otherwise.

In my case it's less of a rattle per se than the sound of two pieces of plastic rubbing together hard and releasing suddenly with a "flick". I should have described it better. Sometimes I wonder if it's the windshield shifting about in its seal.

I guess I'll get used to the hissing noise, if that's standard fare in X-Trails. I'm less obsessive about stuff that bugs me if there's no fixing to be done. But that wouldn't qualify me as a satisfied customer...

·
Registered
110 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Aussietrail, yours was one of the posts I had read while I was fiddling around under the speaker grille, and I tried foam in a couple of different places. One was around the part of the speaker grille that has the vent for the duct. I wrapped it with thicker adhesive foam to make it seal better than the flimsy foam already there. I thought this might help the hissing too, but it didn't. I also tried a piece of foam under the plastic duct itself, where it seemed to sit. I had no luck in silencing the noise, but I'm glad I ruled that out - I might not have thought of it otherwise.

In my case it's less of a rattle per se than the sound of two pieces of plastic rubbing together hard and releasing suddenly with a "flick". I should have described it better. Sometimes I wonder if it's the windshield shifting about in its seal.

I guess I'll get used to the hissing noise, if that's standard fare in X-Trails. I'm less obsessive about stuff that bugs me if there's no fixing to be done. But that wouldn't qualify me as a satisfied customer...
So far my luck's been pretty good and I can't complain too much about the rattles , noises, clicks, pop, crackles and snaps - but then again it's been so freakin' cold that all I care about it getting to where I gots to go and , honestly , I don't care if there's a full symphony of noise going on. I just want to be warm and play golf. But there is this little click noicse that comes and goes and now that you mention this...aw man you got me started. Now I'll never be able to go into the car again without thinking about all this stuff....BTW I've found that if it's broke, break it more. Then when the thing is completely destroyed you relly don't care any more.

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
ecrase2500 said:

Do you have a tweeter speaker in there? That could be another potential source of this noise. If you do have a tweeter in there, try to take it off and see if that would would lead to the noise going away.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought I was in for big noise problems the first week after I picked up my X-Trail. There's a road with very pronounced expansion joints on the way to my fish camp, and every time I took that road the dash would chirp like a chorus of crickets. Just on that road, nowhere else. But it was the coldest week of the winter, -30 or worse all week. Since then, the weather has returned to normal, and the car is as silent as the tomb. If it gets extremely cold again, I'll put on earmuffs, crank up the radio, or avoid that road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aussietrail said:
Do you have a tweeter speaker in there? That could be another potential source of this noise. If you do have a tweeter in there, try to take it off and see if that would would lead to the noise going away.

Best of luck.
Yeah, but it's very solidly mounted with a fairly heavy steel bracket and two screws and locating pins. I took it out at one point so I could feel around below, and refastened it good and tight. That thing ain't moving.

I took a good close look today in the sunlight and noticed that the dealership indeed stuck in a thin piece of foam rubber at the joint between the A-pillar trim and the dash. I wonder if it had been glued to both sides but broke loose (since it was quiet for the first 3 km after the fix). Maybe when I go in for my first oil change I'll ask them to somehow rivet, bolt or otherwise clamp the two plastic pieces together so they don't rub at all.

But why would my X-Trail be noisy when others are quiet? Perhaps the whole dashboard wasn't bolted in right? Maybe the body's flexing more than it should when it hits a bump? I'd like to solve the root cause if I can.

*grumble*

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
Yeah, but it's very solidly mounted with a fairly heavy steel bracket and two screws and locating pins. I took it out at one point so I could feel around below, and refastened it good and tight. That thing ain't moving.

I took a good close look today in the sunlight and noticed that the dealership indeed stuck in a thin piece of foam rubber at the joint between the A-pillar trim and the dash. I wonder if it had been glued to both sides but broke loose (since it was quiet for the first 3 km after the fix). Maybe when I go in for my first oil change I'll ask them to somehow rivet, bolt or otherwise clamp the two plastic pieces together so they don't rub at all.

But why would my X-Trail be noisy when others are quiet? Perhaps the whole dashboard wasn't bolted in right? Maybe the body's flexing more than it should when it hits a bump? I'd like to solve the root cause if I can.

*grumble*
What tyre pressure do you have in your ride? the reason I ask this is that having too much air pressure in your tyres could turn your ride in the xtrail to something really unbearable. I got my exy back from the service and the guys over there inflated the tyres to probably about 40psi. I was driving it and I fealt that everything is car was shaking and squeeking (including myself) so I stoped at the nearest tyre place and de-flated them to 34psi. The ride was much smoother after that. Just a thought :)

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Noise

Hi everyone,

I have had the opputunity to drive my X-trail many miles this week.. mostly highway, between Pointe-Claire and Sainte-Hyacinthe, which is about one and half hour drive each way.. longer if in Montreal Traffic. With the death of my Mother-in-law... it has meanty a lot of travel... and let me tell you, I am more than happy with the X-Trail..

I have also have one problem noise coming from the front passenger side near the tweeter area, but have not had any time to look into it. I will but it is only there at - degrees....and goes way once the X-Trail is warmed up.

The X-Trail so far with (9000K) has been great.. and I still swear by the Motomaster Reflex wipers... they have been tested to the extreme this week and there are great. I purchased several bottles of Rain-X -35 windshield washer fluid and love the stuff... nothing sticks and everything slides off. I use Rain-X all year, both applied to all my windows and lights but also as an additive to the fluid in spring, summer and fall. I also recommend this.

When I have the chance to figure out the noise I will let you know the solution, other than that.. the car is exprememly quiet.

I have also noticed that with the car fully covered with Sound Dampening material - Second Skin Audio, Damplifier... that my heating system is barely on high... once the care is at a proper temperature I have the dial set about 18-20... it was funny... my airconditioning actually started up... not only does the care sound quieter... but it keeps it warmer as well... can't wait to see what summer is like.

Stephen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dash Noise

Hi everyone

I have been following the"Canadian X-Trail" since June 2004 when I got my Silver SE AWD AT. Since then I have put on 9200 kms and I enjoy it very much- especially AWD in the snow and ice. Although this is my first post here, I felt that I had written the first post in this thread because I also have "clicks" coming from the dash that didn't appear when at the service dept. where I had bought it. And I too broke clips on the tweeter cover and removed the speaker while try to find the cause. The glove box lid also rattled.
My "clicks" however were at the base of the A-pillar on the driver's side and from the left side of the center instrument cover near the base of the windshield. The two noises alternated and harmonized when ever I went over harsh bumps. It irritated me !! I took it to my local dealer ( I did not buy it them) and they tried to fix it but were unsucessful. However since then I discovered I could create the sound by pushing down on the plastic between the defroster outlet and the center base of the windshield. I stuffed some foam between the dash and glass and there was improvement. I bought some 1/2" square grey foam, moved the adhesive cover 1/16" over and cut off the expose 1/16" of cover from the opposite side. I did this because I didn't want the foam to stick to the top of the dash and the white cover edge to show. Starting at the edge of the plastic A-pillar cover and with the adhesive cover side down, I pushed the foam into the angle between the dash and windshield until it felt firmly positioned and continued across the dash to the opposite A-pillar cover. This eliminated all the noise from the left side and about 95% from the middle and what is there is much softer.
As for the noise from the glove box lid, I put some 3/8" thick foam on the inside of the lid, vertically, beside the the box. This seem to have solved this noise.
I have not noticed any hiss from the heater outlets.
I hope this info will help anyone who has these problems.
However I feel that when you pay $30,000.+ for a vehicle there should't be this many squeaks and rattles. You would think that these problems would have been solved by Nissan since this truck has been sold elsewhere for several years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow, ejm, it sounds like you may have gotten it. I want to make sure I understand this part of your description, though, so I can try it myself without screwing up:

ejm said:
I bought some 1/2" square grey foam, moved the adhesive cover 1/16" over and cut off the expose 1/16" of cover from the opposite side. I did this because I didn't want the foam to stick to the top of the dash and the white cover edge to show. Starting at the edge of the plastic A-pillar cover and with the adhesive cover side down, I pushed the foam into the angle between the dash and windshield until it felt firmly positioned and continued across the dash to the opposite A-pillar cover.
The foam you bought, is it a roll of square cross-section self-adhesive foam? (i.e., it looks square when you look at the end of it, but it's a long strip, right?) Is it the weather-stripping foam you can buy in the automotive section at Canadian Tire?

You peeled off the white backing for the sticky side and stuck it back on, offset by 1/16", and cut off the excess backing, so that you had only 1/16" of adhesive exposed, right?

Then you applied it between the windshield and the front edge of the dash, all the way across?

When you stuffed it in there, what was the 1/16" adhesive part sticking to? Can you see the white backing through the windshield on the other side?

If I get this right, your idea is to press down on the top edge of the dash using the windshield as bracing, to minimize the movement of the dash?

You've given me new hope... :)

Aussietrail - yes, i just checked my tire pressure on the weekend: 32 PSI.

Thanks a lot, guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dash Noise

Hi everyone

The foam tape that I used was bought at Home Depot. It is 1/2" square X 10' long. It is a closed cell sponge foam tape made by Tago (Pt. # 426-142). I moved the white backing over just as you decribed and installed it across the whole dash with the backing down and exposed adhesive towards the back of the vehicle. I did this because I didn't want all of the tape to stick to the dash, I didn't want to see the white backing from inside the vehicle and it would have been impossible to push it into place with the adhesive exposed. The little bit of adhesive that is exposed,touches the dash but dosen't stop movement of the foam. The pressure on the dash seem to stop the movement that caused the noise. From the outside you see very little of the foam because it is under the black coating on the bottom of the windshield. Hope this answers any questions. Let me know if it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEAH!

:thumbup:

That did the trick!

I varied the technique a bit by peeling the stickiness right off of the self-adhesive foam I had. It's basically a piece of double-sided tape that peels off pretty cleanly. I wedged a strip in between the dash and windshield at the problem area. I didn't go all the way across- I just went from the A-pillar joint to the heating duct. The foam I have is black, and stuffs in so far you can hardly see it.

I also got around to fixing the glovebox rattle with the same foam stuff.

But it worked. This morning, I had my first flick and rattle free drive to work in two months.

There's still the HVAC fan Hissssss, and the squeaking cargo floor, but these weren't driving me quite as insane.

Thank you so much! I'm starting to love my X-Trail again. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
:thumbup:

That did the trick!

I varied the technique a bit by peeling the stickiness right off of the self-adhesive foam I had. It's basically a piece of double-sided tape that peels off pretty cleanly. I wedged a strip in between the dash and windshield at the problem area. I didn't go all the way across- I just went from the A-pillar joint to the heating duct. The foam I have is black, and stuffs in so far you can hardly see it.

I also got around to fixing the glovebox rattle with the same foam stuff.

But it worked. This morning, I had my first flick and rattle free drive to work in two months.

There's still the HVAC fan Hissssss, and the squeaking cargo floor, but these weren't driving me quite as insane.

Thank you so much! I'm starting to love my X-Trail again. :)
Your welcome. I am happy it solved your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mfreedman said:
So far my luck's been pretty good and I can't complain too much about the rattles , noises, clicks, pop, crackles and snaps - but then again it's been so freakin' cold that all I care about it getting to where I gots to go and , honestly , I don't care if there's a full symphony of noise going on. I just want to be warm and play golf. But there is this little click noicse that comes and goes and now that you mention this...aw man you got me started. Now I'll never be able to go into the car again without thinking about all this stuff....BTW I've found that if it's broke, break it more. Then when the thing is completely destroyed you relly don't care any more.
Speaking of golf......does the xtrail have ample room for four players and clubs????

·
Registered
110 Posts
thumbtoe said:
Speaking of golf......does the xtrail have ample room for four players and clubs????
I would say yes but not with room to spare. The most I have had in there is three sets of clubs and three passengers. A fourth would fit but the rear view would likely be blocked to a great extent.

But I've also had hockey bags, sticks, snowshoes, ski poles and skis, a snowbaord with boots, various other golf clubs , a portable bicycle (www.giatex.ca), the carry bag, a 36" wide bin filled with 'stuff', my dog, some framed pictures, computer stuff from Gnet (www.gnet.ca), other assorted junk of sorts............... :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
mfreedman said:
I would say yes but not with room to spare. The most I have had in there is three sets of clubs and three passengers. A fourth would fit but the rear view would likely be blocked to a great extent.

But I've also had hockey bags, sticks, snowshoes, ski poles and skis, a snowbaord with boots, various other golf clubs , a portable bicycle (www.giatex.ca), the carry bag, a 36" wide bin filled with 'stuff', my dog, some framed pictures, computer stuff from Gnet (www.gnet.ca), other assorted junk of sorts............... :thumbup:
Thanks, i think i'm going to go buy one

·
Registered
11 Posts
thumbtoe said:
Thanks, i think i'm going to go buy one
ok so i went and bought the redline se awd auto pick it up thursday!!!!!! now we just need to get rid of this crappy weather so we can golf

·
Registered
110 Posts
thumbtoe said:
ok so i went and bought the redline se awd auto pick it up thursday!!!!!! now we just need to get rid of this crappy weather so we can golf
First of all congrats on the ve-hicle. All the best. Second of all are we talking Ontario bad weather ? Or Alberta, BC, Quebec ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts