Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noisy engine, like all valves out of adjustment.

The noise comes from the left hand side of the engine(looking from the front of the car) , so I suspect a faulty chain tensioner or similar.

The engine has about 110.000 miles. It used to be a really quiet engine. About 6 months ago, it made the noise when it started on cold and it went away about 5-10 seconds later, but it now it does it all the time and it sounds allmost like a modern diesel...

Any ideas or experiences? What could be wrong and how can i diagnose?? Easy self fix or take it to a mechanic? Know where to buy parts online?

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

PS: Its an 1998 Sentra with 1.6 engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard what I thought were my valves as well but turned out to be my ac compressor pulley clutch ... something to check too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dave_f said:
did you ever find the source of the noise?

-dave
Yes, sorry for not posting the solution.

Mechanic changed the top chain tensioner. The chain was rubbing the backing metal plate and the (plastic?) wear protection was gone. Even then, not much damage as the rubbing metal plate was much softer than the chain so the chain looked intact and was no apparent need for changing any other piece.

Now it still does the noise for at startup, but as oil pressure builds up (1 second or less) the noise goes away and it runs great.

Thanks

Sebastian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts