Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Pathy, and the bearing on the pulley in front of the compressor is making a constant grinding noise, whether the clutch on the compressor is engaged or not.

I was under the impression that the pulley could be pulled off and replaced, but a local mechanic, who I don't trust, is telling me that it needs a whole new compressor. I know that's not the case, so I won't be going back to him. The compressor was replaced by Nissan under warranty at about 100k miles, about 55K miles ago, and works fine, A/C blows real cold, clutch engages and disengages no problem.

I was just wondering if it is actually possible to replace just the pulley on the compressor, without having to empty the A/C system, pull the compressor off, and then re-charge the system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
first thing...
look at it. can you pull it off after taking off some bolts?

2nd..
get a print out at the dealership of your yr, make, model's A/C Compressor.

3rd..
i'm sure it can come off, but like you feared.. may need to come off the car so you can see what you're doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it looks to me like it can come off, but not sure of it can be done without pulling the compressor, which is fine, I odn't mind having to evacuate the system and re-charge. Just wasn't sure if the pulley and bearing could actually be replaced without doing the whole compressor, even though it looks that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked with the dealer and it seems the compressor and pulley are all one assembly, so I will have to replace the whole compressor.

Dealer wants around $900 to do it!! Yikes. There's nothing even wrong with the compressor. I am pretty dissapointed with Nissan for making such a stpid design, and this will now be the 2nd compressor I'm putting in it.

Gonna have to go aftermarket this time. Seems insane to me to pay $900 for a compressor. How much labor can be involved, I can pull it out and back in, in an hour myself on my back in the driveway??? I mean it can't be more than an hour of labor and another for evacuate and re-charge. What a hassle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel your pain.... I have the same issue on an '04. Checking the local parts store, the compressor is $470. Of course, this does not include the new 134a or the labor needed to do the swap and recharge.

apparently, there isn't even a core charge, so the old compressor won't get you any money back.

is that $900 just for the compressor or is that for everything - labor, recharge, and part?

·
Registered
430 Posts
a lot of cars go to junkyards cuz of minor issues due to the insurance company totalling it out. lot cheaper, just never sure if it works til you install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K03Sport......The $900 was total for evacuating the system, the new compressor, re-charging and all other labor and tax.

Still trying to fiond out if I really need a whole compressor, it just seems idiotic to me. The only thing wrong is a simple bearing in a pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts