Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

when im driving my car and im in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear and i run my rpm's to 5 or close to it i hear a noise kind of like a chane when you rattle it.
i havent tryed to do it in 4th or 5th because im afraid that the noise i hear is bad. so is that bad or is it ok to run them that high help

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
sentra 98 said:
hey,

when im driving my car and im in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear and i run my rpm's to 5 or close to it i hear a noise kind of like a chane when you rattle it.
i havent tryed to do it in 4th or 5th because im afraid that the noise i hear is bad. so is that bad or is it ok to run them that high help
When you post, it's a good idea to include as much information as possible. How many miles? Why do you think it's the transmission?

With the limited information, I would guess that the tensioners have worn out and what you are hearing the the timing chain rattling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kindfiend said:
When you post, it's a good idea to include as much information as possible. How many miles? Why do you think it's the transmission?

With the limited information, I would guess that the tensioners have worn out and what you are hearing the the timing chain rattling.
here is the info on my sentra 1.6

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kindfiend said:

my car is a 1998 sentra and the motor has 45,000 miles .i also thought that the thing that makes the noise is that i have exhoust headers, CAI, and no resegnator and also a preformance muffler. thats about it, ( it only makes the noise when im close to 5 rpm's) if its not those parts that make the noise, is what you said bad or ok?

·
Registered
106 Posts
if it makes a hard metalic sound i doubt its the tranny. did you have a full exhaust put on? header, new piping, muffler? i would bet my life savings that it is a the exhaust hitting something. or a heat sheild.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sentra 98 said:
i dont have a catback system and no heat shield.
so you didnt have a new exhaust put on? just a muffler? .........where is the sound coming from? it could just be a crappy muffler. i have heard many a buzzy/tinny muffler on a stock sized exhaust pipe.

get your car on a lift and trace the exhaust pipe from the header all the way back to the muffler and look for contact on anything.

side note; what type of header and muffler do you have? a high flow header and "performance" muffler on stock pipe will not do you any good other than make your car sound like a pissed off penny racer on crack. i would get 2 inch pipe with the longest res you could find put on and see if that dosent solve anything.

FYI, the tranny would make more of a "clunk" than a hard metalic "clank/ting" because it is muffled by the tranny fluid. <im not sure if that is 100% true, but thats what i would think )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nismo1.6 said:
so you didnt have a new exhaust put on? just a muffler? .........where is the sound coming from? it could just be a crappy muffler. i have heard many a buzzy/tinny muffler on a stock sized exhaust pipe.

get your car on a lift and trace the exhaust pipe from the header all the way back to the muffler and look for contact on anything.

side note; what type of header and muffler do you have? a high flow header and "performance" muffler on stock pipe will not do you any good other than make your car sound like a pissed off penny racer on crack. i would get 2 inch pipe with the longest res you could find put on and see if that dosent solve anything.

FYI, the tranny would make more of a "clunk" than a hard metalic "clank/ting" because it is muffled by the tranny fluid. <im not sure if that is 100% true, but thats what i would think )
iam getting a catback a guy is doing it for $80 the hole thing he said i will get about 10 hp uot of a 2" is it true.

·
Registered
106 Posts
not 10 out of just the 2inch, with the header possibly.

please go to this site www.sentra.net many of your questions will be answerd there, it is the "text book" for sentra owners. :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
nismo1.6 said:
not 10 out of just the 2inch, with the header possibly.

please go to this site www.sentra.net many of your questions will be answerd there, it is the "text book" for sentra owners. :thumbup:
i do have headers (cant remember name). when i drive the noise comes from the drivers side where the tranny is at. so i thought the noise was from there.last night as i was driving home i was in second gear and my car stated to jump and pull but the rpms where rather low could that be the reason my car jumped and pulled and could that have to do with my noise question.

·
Registered
106 Posts
do you have a standard? if you shift and its to low you wont have enough power and it will want to stall. but i still dont think the noise is from the tranny, i had clunking noises and it was the axels.

sidenote: its "header" there is only one ;) if you had a V-6 or V-8 you would have 2.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nismo1.6 said:
do you have a standard? if you shift and its to low you wont have enough power and it will want to stall. but i still dont think the noise is from the tranny, i had clunking noises and it was the axels.

sidenote: its "header" there is only one ;) if you had a V-6 or V-8 you would have 2.
yes i do have a standard. i do know that my axel on my driver side where the tranny is needs to be replaced. when i take my rpms to 5,000 i here that noise but i never smell burnt tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts