Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions:

Car doesn't start, no codes in ECU, fuses are all good. It just clicks. You can hear the fuel pump wind up, and all the dash lights come on. There is a theft deterant system on the car, but I disconnected it (like I do when I loose the remote), and it still doesn't start. A few weeks ago, we had the same thing, and we pulled it out of park, down to 1 and then back to park, and it started. I'm thinking at this point its the switch in the auto shifter that tells the car that it is in park or N. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Everything is powered? Sounds like your starter... but that shifting thing is kinda weird too. I'd say go for the starter first, it's probably the cause.

When my starter went for a couple weeks (I still have the same one on my car - works now) I'd have trouble starting my car, and it was an intermittent problem. My hypothesis is that the shifting thing was just a fluke, because one time when I couldn't get my car to start (everything could be powered, the starter just wouldn't turn) I sat and waited an hour or so and then tried starting the car again. It started perfectly.. and I'm assuming that your shifting trick was just coincidence.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wildmane said:
Everything is powered? Sounds like your starter... but that shifting thing is kinda weird too. I'd say go for the starter first, it's probably the cause.

When my starter went for a couple weeks (I still have the same one on my car - works now) I'd have trouble starting my car, and it was an intermittent problem. My hypothesis is that the shifting thing was just a fluke, because one time when I couldn't get my car to start (everything could be powered, the starter just wouldn't turn) I sat and waited an hour or so and then tried starting the car again. It started perfectly.. and I'm assuming that your shifting trick was just coincidence.
I thought that when the start goes, it gradually dies off. Its turned over perfectly every time it starts. It doesn't make any noises or anything. I'll see if it starts tomorrow.... that would be interesting.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Well, there was this 1 to 2 week period in the fall when my starter would act up, and I wouldn't be able to turn the car over, but I still got power to everything. Ever since the cold weather began, the starter ran fine, and I have had no problems since. I'm hoping that it will continue to last me at least for the rest of this year.. if not, I still have my back up starter I got from Ninety-NineSL.

*Let me add that the starter still makes a bad grinding sound... However, what I mean by "functions perfectly" is that my car starts up everytime, albeit with the damn grinding noise from the starter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
steve,

tap your starter a few time with a hammer. If it starts right up than the problem was the starter.

If it dosen't start right up then hit it harder! :)

good luck
s

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
stevja1 said:
I need opinions:

Car doesn't start, no codes in ECU, fuses are all good. It just clicks. You can hear the fuel pump wind up, and all the dash lights come on. There is a theft deterant system on the car, but I disconnected it (like I do when I loose the remote), and it still doesn't start. A few weeks ago, we had the same thing, and we pulled it out of park, down to 1 and then back to park, and it started. I'm thinking at this point its the switch in the auto shifter that tells the car that it is in park or N. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks
If taking it out of park and pushing back in helped it to start, then I would check that area first. Your guess is probably a good one, I would look into the shifter cable as well. I don't know much about automatics, so I'm not sure how or even what to check.

Starters can die suddenly, but I would look into the switch and shifter cable before replacing the starter.

Lew's good with automatics and I remember him replying to a thread like this with a more definite answer. PM him and ask about it, he should be able to tell you where to look.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sethticlees said:
steve,

tap your starter a few time with a hammer. If it starts right up than the problem was the starter.

If it dosen't start right up then hit it harder! :)

good luck
s
I thought you were just kidding. A clobbering a starter with a hammer will make it work???? Apparently so. I had my brother try to turn it over, and I sat and clobbered the thing a bunch with a hammer and sure enough, it fired right up. I had him drive it to our mechanic right then because I wasn't sure when it would start again. Good call! Apparently starters do die suddenly.

I imagine moving the shifter may have loosened something or it may have just been some insane coincidence.

Thanks for you'all's help. (Man... is that a word??? You'all's?)

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
stevja1 said:
I thought you were just kidding. A clobbering a starter with a hammer will make it work???? Apparently so. I had my brother try to turn it over, and I sat and clobbered the thing a bunch with a hammer and sure enough, it fired right up. I had him drive it to our mechanic right then because I wasn't sure when it would start again. Good call! Apparently starters do die suddenly.

I imagine moving the shifter may have loosened something or it may have just been some insane coincidence.

This is not just a Nissan starter thing. It all starters.
The starter responds to being hit because if the brushes are worn they are moved to contact the commutator. Also if the solenoid sticks you can also persuade it to work.
BTW its Y'all. When I moved to Texas I got lessons on how to say this right.
Good Luck.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
stevja1 said:

LOL :thumbup: Glad to help.

The same thing recently happened to me so I'm all to familiar with the issue.

Just pull the starter and have your shop rebuild it... cost me $50 even, you'll likely get a better deal. The little brushes and stuff inside the starter simply need replaced.

:cheers:

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sethticlees said:
LOL :thumbup: Glad to help.

The same thing recently happened to me so I'm all to familiar with the issue.

Just pull the starter and have your shop rebuild it... cost me $50 even, you'll likely get a better deal. The little brushes and stuff inside the starter simply need replaced.

:cheers:
crap, are you serious??? I paid a shop 267 dollars to pull it and replace it with a refurb. I couldn't figure out how to get it out. It was buried. The hanes manual made it look easy, but I couldn't even see the whole thing, much less get a wrench in there.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
stevja1 said:
crap, are you serious??? I paid a shop 267 dollars to pull it and replace it with a refurb. I couldn't figure out how to get it out. It was buried. The hanes manual made it look easy, but I couldn't even see the whole thing, much less get a wrench in there.
Yes I agree it tough to get out, and worse on the SR20!!! Good luck with your "new” SR20 car when the starter goes, they are more troublesome than the GA starter IMHO!!

I replaced my daughters SR20 Starter twice, and yes I agree that it normally the brushes.
I have replaced brushes on GM starters on my V8's when I first came to the USA. note the plural. I gave them up because they tasted bad, particularly the green ones, and switched to imports.
I didn't do this on Daughters SER because the starter was crashing into the ring gear and this was not a brush problem.
The second starter was for the same problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts