Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Nissan Pulsar NX SE, CAD16DE DOHC Distributorless iginition.
From what I can tell originally had turbo, but no longer.

Please help?
Car started to intermittantly die while driving down road, sensor light would go on. Usually would start back up after 5 to 10 minutes, sensor light would go off. It would behave like a fuel problem, it would lose all power with no throttle response and die in 5 to 10 seconds. This happened 5-6 times and now is a great looking lawn ornament. Will no longer start.

First I checked fuel pressure. OK!

Then checked spark. BINGO!

With this being an electronically controlled ignition system, I did not know where to start. So I threw my pride in the back seat and towed it to the nearest mechanics shop. Had to bum rides to work for 2 weeks.

The Shop said they checked all sensors, coils, and wiring to no avail.
They gave up, and kindly asked me to remove my vehicle from their property.
The Shop Foreman did say that my ECM and Ignition Module were not testable, and one or both may be the cause.

Luckily I have a buddy in a parts store and he let me order the parts to check. I installed the ignition module, no luck. Then I installed the ECM, guess?______ :thumbdwn: Zero Luck.

So I'm back to where I started. Still bumming rides.

Please Help. Sorry so lengthy.

Note: ECM is throwing a code 44 (no other trouble codes). Book says: Throttle Position Sensor.
Tested part, and works perfectly to specification according to Chilton's.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the CAS and ignition module are two things prone to break with time. Cheak also for ground every where to the engine. sometime problems seems way bigger than they are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy-Mart said:
the CAS and ignition module are two things prone to break with time. Cheak also for ground every where to the engine. sometime problems seems way bigger than they are.
Thanks! I will check all grounds. I am a little confused on how to check the CAS, the book states only a procedure with the engine running. Any help?
Again thanks for the info. Will post back with status.

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
I had the same engine... same problem... it was the ignition module, bolted on the right-hand side of the cylinder head. Dollars, and donuts, or something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kooskia may help.

Mills said:
I have a 1987 Nissan Pulsar NX SE, CAD16DE DOHC Distributorless iginition.
From what I can tell originally had turbo, but no longer.

Please help?
Car started to intermittantly die while driving down road, sensor light would go on. Usually would start back up after 5 to 10 minutes, sensor light would go off. It would behave like a fuel problem, it would lose all power with no throttle response and die in 5 to 10 seconds. This happened 5-6 times and now is a great looking lawn ornament. Will no longer start.

First I checked fuel pressure. OK!

Then checked spark. BINGO!

With this being an electronically controlled ignition system, I did not know where to start. So I threw my pride in the back seat and towed it to the nearest mechanics shop. Had to bum rides to work for 2 weeks.

The Shop said they checked all sensors, coils, and wiring to no avail.
They gave up, and kindly asked me to remove my vehicle from their property.
The Shop Foreman did say that my ECM and Ignition Module were not testable, and one or both may be the cause.

Luckily I have a buddy in a parts store and he let me order the parts to check. I installed the ignition module, no luck. Then I installed the ECM, guess?______ :thumbdwn: Zero Luck.

So I'm back to where I started. Still bumming rides.

Please Help. Sorry so lengthy.

Note: ECM is throwing a code 44 (no other trouble codes). Book says: Throttle Position Sensor.
Tested part, and works perfectly to specification according to Chilton's.
Hi fellow finatic, No spark huh.
I`ve been restoring an 87 myself and have a few suggestions. Un plug
the primary side of the ignition module and check for voltage comming
into the module there are 5 terminals 4 should have 12 volts or more,
if you have voltage check the plug and socket terminals on the ignition mod-
ual sometimes the contacts get pushed back so they dont make contact,
next take a test light and with the ignition on check for voltage at the
coil there should 12 or more volts on the medium size wire it should be
black, if you have power then one or more coils are bad.
If you have no power at the primary side of the ignition control modual
Then the (CMP) Crank angle sensor may be the problem (on the other end
of the motor) check the plug out if a good connection then it may need
to be cleaned (be sure to mark the position before removing) so it can be
replaced exactly as it was. could have dirt in it blocking the signal.
I hope this info helps you
Kooskia

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello guys, I have the same make and model and engine, ca16de with an 87 pulsar nx se, I have a situation where the power coming into the transistor (4 pins) have NO power. I suspect the transistor relay. I'd like to know if anyone here knows where the relay is located or better yet, where the power is coming from. I have schematics but they do not tell me the location of the individual parts in relation to the vehicle.

The vehicle was running fine one day, then the next it simply would not start. now there is NO SPARK to any coil packs.

While cranking over the engine, I can hear the injectors firing thus reducing fuel pressure and the fuel pump charging the lines..

any ideas as to what to check now?

please email me with any thing including a picture of the relay if possible.

[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts