Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to take the spark plug out of cylinder one on my 1988 Hardbody v6, and i accedentally touched the wrench to the positive battery post while it was connected to the spark plug, making a spark. Now, it won't turn the fuel pump on, and there is no spark. It turns over just fine. I test every fuse I could, and I can't figure it out! I can only figure its the crankshaft position sensor, or an Auto Shut Down relay (if I have one)

Please help! Thanks
 

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
Joined
·
9,819 Posts
You don't have an ASD relay...that's a "Chrysler/Jeep thing." Crank pos sensor is in the distributor; I doubt that you took that out. Most likely, like already suggested, you burnt up a fusible link. It's also possible, but less likely, you damaged the ECM. If the links and fuses are good, it might be worth pulling out the ECM, opening it up and checking the circuit board for burn marks. If you see any, it's toast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
You touched the wrench to the positive post, while it was connected to a spark plug?

I am not sure what happened. I have caused all kinds of sparks to fly off my battery, with never a problem.

What happened again?

Ok, so you touched the battery to the engine block. The ecu is probably fine, maybe check it for error codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested all the fusible links coming off the battery, except for this big white one, which I can't find the end to test it (disappears into a bound chunk of wires). All the ones I test were OK. How do I test the Main Relay? The only place I can get the relay is from a dealer :(, but there are some "multi purpose" relays at autozone that look just like the relay, think those will work?

Thanks for all the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I haven't had a chance to check codes as the truck is 45 miles from where I am now. but I will be up there on monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out what it was. There was a fusable link to the Main Relay blown. I cut the wire after the link and installed an inline 10A fuse for ease of changing later on
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top