Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: car ran great for 50 laps, then i parked car. next race car does'nt start? have fuel, turns over fine, timing belt is ok, just no spark. changed dist, coil and cleaned all grounds. coil seems to have power at both pos & neg terminals. any idea,s??? :(

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Did you check the ECC system fuse ? Do you get any spark out of the ignition coil ? When you say "changed dist" ... does that mean you replaced the distributor's cap and rotor or you removed the whole distributor and replaced it ? If you removed the whole distributor check the 180-degree crankshaft position signal. I'd try to see if the ECU stored any error codes. Is that a GA16DE engine in your '87 ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I have the same problem with my 87 Sentra XE. I've checked the coil, and it seems to be ok. The timing belt is ok too. I've checked the ingnition fuses and fusable link. I don't know if there is anything wrong with the crank angle sensor though. I have an ignition igniter on order now. It's too bad that this year's ECM won't store error codes. Are the ECU and ECM the same thing?
My engine model is: E16S. I'm curious about the ECC fuse though. I'll check that out. Do you have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no luck yet, getting a book tomorrow and a fellow racer is going to have a look :) will let you know how it goes :cheers: thanks #65

·
Registered
12 Posts
ECC problems

Going off of Twiz's suggestion, I read in my Chilton manual how to troubleshoot the ECC system. When I disconnected the ECC diagnostic connector, the car started. This eliminated the ignitor and crank angle sensor. However, The motor died in less than a minute, and it smelled rich of gasoline. Obviously, there is something "out of whack" with the ECC system. Now, I've started to read about the different sensors and how to test them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Problem Solved

After I tested most of the ECC sensors, I found that the Crank Angle Sensor was at fault. I have replaced it, and my car is running perfectly now.

Trouble with Crank Angle Sensors can be intermittent and hard to detect. I used a logic probe at the Crank Angle Sensor inputs of the ECU, and I looked for a pulse. I realized there wasn't one, and I ordered a replacement sensor.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
So, you replaced the entire distributor? OY...Bet you paid dearly!

The nice part about Nissans: If you get into the ECM's self-diagnostics, in Mode V, it has 'real-time' diagnostics which will detect faults with crank-angle sensor, ignition signal (Coil and/or power transistor) or air flow meter (If injected). You're injected...right? Hard to find '87 carbed cars, but ex has wagon with one.

In Mode V, it would've shown up as 4 rapid green flashes; In Mode III, it would've been Code 11 (One red flash, one green flash). Hope it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crank Angle Sensor

Fortunately, I didn't have to remove the distributor. Kragen Auto Parts sold me a Crank Angle Sensor, and I replaced it. You know that you can bye the sensor seprately now, right? Furthermore, this year's ECM doesn't store error codes! I wish it did. Otherwise, it would have been alot more easier to find the problem.

Best Regards,

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
¡AYE CARUMBA!

OK, you've got my unconditional attention: How much did the crank angle sensor set ya back? You realize this could change the whole '82-'88 E-series distributor issue...if the price is realistic, compared to a whole new distributor for $300-odd. Hit me back, hungry for an answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got set back $225, but I didn't have to remove the distributor from the head either. Kragen said they would sell me one 5% below their competitors if I found one that costs less, so try some price matching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts