Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have only had my 97 sentra for about two weeks..... took it in for an oil change about a week ago, and they said I had a slight oil leak, and they were not sure where it was coming from. Today almost home from work, and the car was real sluggish , and was knocking. Check the oil NOTHING. Not a drop in there, wtf.... what should I do, should I call them up and have it towed back, or what, or take it to my mechanic? Man this sucks

·
Registered
208 Posts
nd4spd said:
Well I have only had my 97 sentra for about two weeks..... took it in for an oil change about a week ago, and they said I had a slight oil leak, and they were not sure where it was coming from. Today almost home from work, and the car was real sluggish , and was knocking. Check the oil NOTHING. Not a drop in there, wtf.... what should I do, should I call them up and have it towed back, or what, or take it to my mechanic? Man this sucks
Any warranty?? Lemon Law?? That sucks. Have you noticed oil pooling up anywhere?? I would say that you should take it to the mechanic, the oil change place probably won't do anything for you unless it's also a shop. Wouldn't hurt calling them though and asking a few questions. If it was something that would cause the entire oil to leak from the car, then they should have told you the extent of the leak. I'm sure they have some disclaimer which will exonerate them from any responsibility though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea they said it was minor at the time, and I said, well as long as its not all over the ground, then I'm not worried right now.... figures, now I'm just afraid that I drove on the engine too long. Now I know I will catch flak for taking it there, but it was at walmart... yes I know :crazy:

·
Registered
208 Posts
nd4spd said:
Yea they said it was minor at the time, and I said, well as long as its not all over the ground, then I'm not worried right now.... figures, now I'm just afraid that I drove on the engine too long. Now I know I will catch flak for taking it there, but it was at walmart... yes I know :crazy:
ha, my ex use to go there because she could shop while she waited. Honestly I don't know much about the oil changes they do there, but I still feel safer going to my good ole boy place.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh hell, I have an appointment to get it looked at, just put 3.5 quarts in and there is no knocking, phew...... but I think the front main seal is shot, trying to find out where its leaking, it drips a little under the right front area near the belts, so probably is the seal. Wonder how much that will cost.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well sitting and letting it run its fine, and the oil is staying in there, I tried to crawl under it, and saw the the whole right undercarrage caked in oil, and it looks like its coming from above the oil pan, so I'm pretty sure its the seal, not sure of its exact location though.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Are you sure when you got the oil change, they filled the car back up with oil? Casue if it only took a week to empty the oil pan, that would have to be a good size leak. You should have noticed good sized puddles under your car.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Yeah, if your loosing oil that fast, the seal must be just about completly gone. My rear main seal has gone out. Pretty cheap, about $10. I HATE WAL-MART!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
random thought ... could they have not screwed the bolt in tight enuf ? I mean I could b out in left field on this but just a guess ...
Walmart and I dont get along either ... sold me a battery that I could use as a test and the stupid thing was already done ... go walmart go!

·
Registered
111 Posts
pete2.0 said:
random thought ... could they have not screwed the bolt in tight enuf ? I mean I could b out in left field on this but just a guess ...
Walmart and I dont get along either ... sold me a battery that I could use as a test and the stupid thing was already done ... go walmart go!
I dont know about them leaving the drain plug to loose but i know they have a knack for either over tightening or stripping it and not telling you thats for sure

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
That is why I ALWAYS change my own oil. I am not letting some 16 year old change my oil. Nothing against the 16 yo on the board but we all were 16 at one time and someone else's problems were not ours. Change your own oil. It will take you 15-20 minutes and you can do it with Mobile-1 for the same price as the stuff that put in at the oil change shops.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I don't know what to say about your engine, you say it's idling bad, right now. I assume you put more oil in the second you realized it was bone dry, correct?

iono, it's very possible the engine is fucked. Take it back to the oil place and threaten to sue.

The lesson learned here is you should never let someone else change your oil. Yea, 90% of the drivers on the road go to Jiffy Lube or the dealer, the dealer is somewhat trustworthy when it comes to oil, Jiffy Lube would never touch my car, in fact, no one touches my car unless they know the Sentra from top to bottom, someone like Andreas Miko, or Mike Kojima ;)

I can't stress this enough to anyone on here, learn how to maintain your car, fliud changes, light bulbs, brakes, starters, etc. Buy a $15 Haynes manual, it's all in there, it's really not that hard once you have some experience. Not only do I save hundreds on the labor, and the satisfaction of a job done right, but just to get down there and check for any other problems. If I'm changing my oil and there's a huge splotch of grease somewhere, I can at least check it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes as soon as it was dry I put more oil in, started it up, it runs fine for about 5 min and then it seems to idle bad, and has a little knock to it, nothing real loud, but it does not sound right. I can get a used engine for $375.00 with 38,000 miles on it. I told my mech to inspect the engine first before replacing the seal, might as well instead of replacing the seal with a bad engine. Does that sound like a good deal on that engine, course add about 100 dollars for shipping. If I do get the other engine, freaking new seal and oil pan seal is going in, thats for sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
375 for an engine is a pretty good deal. Make sure the guy who puts it in checks it first. Getting a used engine always has some risk involved. Could've been overheated, driven without oil, or just ran so hard it's worn out (although that's doubtful). It's really a crapshoot at this point. I'd discuss it with the mechanic who's gonna do the work. He'll have a better idea of what to do.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
are you burning oil?? if there's no puddles under the car, and you're loosing it that fast...it must be going out the tailpipe. in that case i'd guess your ringpacks are shot and you'll be looking at rebuild or replacement. no oil=badness...especially for ringpacks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
I can't help it that Wal-Mart has low, low prices :p
Are the mechanics at wal-mart the ones who couldn't get a job at jiffy lube??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts