Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 1992 sentra 5 speed with about 210K and the just this week started hesitating when accelerating even on idle. The engine would begin to shake, even at higher RPM it would still be noticed, but seemed to smooth out. Anyways, I tried unplugging the spark plug wires while the car was on and all them seemed to work except the cylinder which is closest to the distributor, #4 I think? When I pulled the plug out of it the engine didn't do anything, the idle stayed the same and it didn't seem like it was gonna die. So my conclusion is that something is wrong with this cylinder and I have to drive back home tomorrow which is gonna be a 212 mile trip! By the way, the cylinder does have a spark because I did the test at night and saw spark, decently strong spark too. Also, I tried replacing the spark plug too, same problem. The old spark plug seemed 'wet' in a sense and was more brown compared to the other plugs. I'm guessing the fuel injector went out?? But the other three are still working. Is it okay to drive on 3 cylinders only? I don't really wanna try and fix it because i'm getting a new car once I get home, well...a used car haha. Thanks, need help please! BTW, I don't see any smoke come out of the car either, but sometimes I get a lot of clear liquid spewing out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Check your timing, check your distributor cap/rotor, fuel filter, and look for loose hoses or wires.

Put a fresh plug in the #4 cylinder and crank it a few times with the spark plugs off. Take the plug out and see if it has fuel on it or you can smell it on it.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,356 Posts
Most likely the fuel injector in cylinder #4 is not working. Check the injector harness connector. Unplug the harness connector and do an ohm check on the injector. The reading should be somewhere around 11 ohms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, it was the injector. But after the mechanic replaced the injector, sometimes the car takes a while to start. It cranks maybe 6-8 times and at other times sometimes 2 or even 1 crank will get the car to start. This happens mostly when the car has been sitting for a while. Did the mechanic not make sure the fuel lines were tight or something? I replaced the fuel pump already too. Any ideas?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,356 Posts
I would say there's probably a leak in the pressure side of the injector assembly. Normally fuel pressure remains in the fuel log for some time after the engine is shut off. If there's a leak, then the pressure will drop quickly and upon trying to restart the engine, it may take several cranks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anyway to check for this? The fuel filter was changed about a summer before the pump was. But its weird how it started happening just AFTER I had one of the injectors replaced. I'm thinking it has something to do with the seals, I didn't buy any seal kits for the injector because I thought the injector itself would come with the seals, but apparently that's not the case. I am going to head to the junk yard and try and find some used injectors with low mileage on them. The injector that went out 2 weeks ago lasted 210K and was the original factory injector and I still have the other 3 original injectors in there and they still are working. So I'm hoping some used ones from the junkyard with low mileage would still work great and I'll do the job myself this time and make sure I buy the O-rings and gaskets etc. But, how to you get to the screws on the injector caps without taking the intake manifold off? I heard this can be done and it only takes about 2 minutes to change each injector if you use this method. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
you reused the old o-rings? i wouldnt be suprised if that was your problem in the first place. you can get them from advanced auto for like $20 for all 4. replace them. if they are leaking, you will lose fuel pressure and it will be hard to start. it will also saturate your cylinder enough that the spark plug might not fire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
you reused the old o-rings? i wouldnt be suprised if that was your problem in the first place. you can get them from advanced auto for like $20 for all 4. replace them. if they are leaking, you will lose fuel pressure and it will be hard to start. it will also saturate your cylinder enough that the spark plug might not fire.
+1 so true GARBER, anytime u replace old injectors-replace with new o-rings!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts