Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 sentra 1.6L (Auto) and thought that the starter was slowly going out on it.. finally (after about 6 months) it just stop cranking all together.... I bought a starter from Ebay (doesnt fit) but with it doesnt work anyway when I bench tested it....then I benched test mine ....WORKS.. The fuse labeled (starter 7.5a) has power on it when I have the key turned to crank but it doesnt have power on the seloniod , If I put power on the seloniod wire ...it will crank. I tried switching the relays around (right above the interior fuse block) and tried wiggling the gear selector with no luck. Any one got any ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
check your switches on the brake pedal and shift position switch.
wiring diagram is in the Factory Service Manual know as the FSM around here.
If phatg20 is down let me know and I will PM you a link....

·
Registered
66 Posts
get your battery checked, it's very possible that a battery can have enough power to power everything, but dies when a cranking load is put on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get your battery checked, it's very possible that a battery can have enough power to power everything, but dies when a cranking load is put on it.
If I have the key on... when I put power to the seloniod the car starts and runs. So I am sure that the problem is a failed part or wire between the ing switch and the (+) wire feeding the seloniod. I am sure its not the ing switch because the starter seloniod fuse has power on it only when the key is in the crank postion. So I am sure its going to be the gear selector switch, a starting seloniod, or a open circuit (wire) in this system ......

I just dont know how its set up..as in I dont know if the power goes though the gear selector then the fuse block or vise versa, or if it even has a starter relay. It may even have a ground legged gear selector switch completing the starter relay setup. Anyone know??

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
honestly id have to agree with RJR. this sounds like a pooched battery to me... batteries can very easily power everything in the car and not be able to give the starter enough power to engage the solenoid. we did just go through the colder months and you're saying when you give it alternate power, the car starts. classic pooched battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I have the key on... when I put power to the seloniod the car starts and runs. So I am sure that the problem is a failed part or wire between the ing switch and the (+) wire feeding the seloniod. I am sure its not the ing switch because the starter seloniod fuse has power on it only when the key is in the crank postion. So I am sure its going to be the gear selector switch, a starting seloniod, or a open circuit (wire) in this system ......

I just dont know how its set up..as in I dont know if the power goes though the gear selector then the fuse block or vise versa, or if it even has a starter relay. It may even have a ground legged gear selector switch completing the starter relay setup. Anyone know??
I dont know exactly how they're set up, but USUALLY the ign switch signals a relay, which signals the solonoid. If you're starting by just bypassing the relay and switch, i'd imagine the problem would be with those.

Find the fuse box and the starter relay, it should be clearly marked. See if it's damaged or corroded or something. Usually most of the relays are the exact same type in the fuse panel, if you find another relay of the same type, swap it out with the starter relay and test it. If that aint it, the problem would be in the wiring i'd imagine. You could jump the pins in the starter relay socket, just too see if the problem is in the circuit passed that, or before it.

Other than that...crank it, and see if you get pos coil voltage going to the starter relay socket. See if you get ground for the coil too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in case anyone was following this thread... Its fixed. It turns out that it was the ingition switch. Fuse 26 which is labled "starter 7.5A"....it accually feeds the ASCD and security relay. The ignition switch has 2 poles for the crank position (one feeds fuse 26 and the other feeds the (+) starter relay (not labled, way up in the dash). The negitive (-) for the relay is fed from the P/N (inhibitor) switch. One of the two poles of the ignition switch was still working and the miss leading lable threw me for a loop.

Thanks IanH for the pdf file!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts